New Uniden UBC125XLT

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

New Uniden UBC125XLT

Post by RogerD »

Not quite a replacement for the USC230. Seems to be aimed at similar price point, with Close Call and PC programming....
UBC125.jpg
NEW
Has a Signal Meter
Mil Air 225-400
Temporary lock-outs (until powered off and on again)

BUT.....
slightly slower than the 230 with 80ch/sec scan, 90ch/sec search
960MHz upper limit : 23cm / 1.3GHz / 1297MHz band missing
electronic vol/sql (like the 3500xlt) instead of dedicated controls
only 500 memories, no dynamic system : just 10 banks of 50

Manual : http://www.k-po.com/data/shop/download/ ... NGLISH.pdf or http://www.radios-uk.com/ubc125xltmanual.pdf

What are they thinking, with this one? Have they decided that lots of people would have been happy with the 230 if only it had featured Mil Air, wasn't red, and they were too scared of Dynamic Memory? :?
I think they've missed a trick here. An updated 230, with optional memory systems (two sets of firmware - you decide whether to have Dynamic Memory or conventional banks) with the full 2500 memories and Mil Air would have been brilliant. {bnghd}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: New Uniden UBC125XLT

Post by radiosification »

I say just an update to the 230 adding mil air would have done the trick. It's a great scanner as it is apart from that. Dynamic memory is far superior and people just need to learn to use it, cos it's much easier once you know how.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

I'm not sure that Dynamic is so very much better. It's the PC connection and alpha tagging that makes it all so useful, but I wonder how many people use more than 10 Systems or muck about with turning Groups on and off? If you've only got 10 quick keys to play with easily, then the 10 banks here would do just as well.
But it's a shame there are only 50 mems per bank, marine VHF wont fit, and...

... if the coverage is wider than the 230's (with mil air) why give us less memory?! Mil air cries out for fast scanning of loads of channels. Seems like it was designed by engineers who don't really scan much.

As least the mil air band's default steps are 12.5 so Close Call should latch onto 25 spaced channels. But again, the 320-400 segment is lumped in with 400-520, and there doesn't seem to be a Broadcast Screen like the 3500 has. So if you're hoping to Close Call for some PMR in the 420-470 region, you've got no way to avoid half the mil air band and huge signals from TV transmitters (470-520)!

I wish they'd think things through a bit more.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

RogerD wrote:I'm not sure that Dynamic is so very much better. It's the PC connection and alpha tagging that makes it all so useful, but I wonder how many people use more than 10 Systems or muck about with turning Groups on and off? If you've only got 10 quick keys to play with easily, then the 10 banks here would do just as well.
But it's a shame there are only 50 mems per bank, marine VHF wont fit, and...
...you've just explained exactly why dynamic memory is so much better! :D
You can have a group as large or as small as you like. If you want to add the 8 PMR446 channels, you don't need to waste a whole bank of 50 just for 8 channels.
I use over 10 systems! I have the most commonly used ones set to the quick keys, then have to lockout and unlock the others when I want to use them by scrolling to them with function.
It's so much better than banks, because I have for example the amateur system, which contains different groups: 70cm repeater, 70cm simplex, 2m repeaters, 2m simplex.
Now, I sometimes get lots of interference on 70cm simplex channels but still want to listen to the repeaters. I can just turn off all of the simplex channels. With banks, I'd have to either turn off all of amateur, or turn off the simplex channels which would be in their own bank. Occupying only about 10 of the 50 channels. But if i did that I would have nowhere near enough banks.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

Review of the US version Bearcat BC-125AT
http://forums.radioreference.com/scanne ... eview.html
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

RogerD wrote:What are they thinking, with this one? Have they decided that lots of people would have been happy with the 230 if only it had featured Mil Air, wasn't red, and they were too scared of Dynamic Memory? :?
Uniden probably consider it easier to design a new radio rather than write a decent manual for the existing one. {bnghd}

Seriously, is there no company in Japan who is capable of producing decent manuals?
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
pigeonman
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: jp1

Post by pigeonman »

{bnghd} hi all i have bought one of these UBC 125 XLT scanners but cant really get my head round it i only really bought it cos it says mil aircraft bands included so i thought they was pre programed like civilian aircraft does anyone know of anyone in or around burton on trent that can show me how to get to grips with this i would really appreciate it :?:
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

Have you used scanners before, or is this totally new to you?
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

There are a number of videos on Youtube that may help you, even if their production leaves much to be desired :-)

252.875 Central ICF
259.625 Lichfield Corridor
are the Swanwick Mil freqs on which you will hear nearby activity.

Also try 278.175 Stafford Ops for occasional passing helis.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
pigeonman
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: jp1

Post by pigeonman »

I have got 3 other scanners but not really uesd them I have a ubc 785 xlt a gre 295 and a
Yupiteru mvt 7100 .
Andy h
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Andy h »

Ubc125xlt
I have just purchased this new scanner and connected it to a Sky Scan Mobile Desktop All Round Scanner Aerial Antenna 25-2000MHz RX 95mm and can pick up London control but cannot pick up Birmingham airport and I live in Kidderminster which is much closer to Birmingham.... Why is this..please help
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I was given a GRE 295 but bought the 125 as an out and about scanner. I haven't got into the programming but have managed everything with manual entry. In general, I've found it to be excellent for the purpose and so sensitive that it does well on the rubber duck when in the open air.

Mil air is rather huge so I programmed in the nearby bases and London mil, which catches me the odd fish. I suppose if I was more au fait with a range of scanners I would find something to complain about.
scan125
Call Sign: 26TM8080

Post by scan125 »

You may be interested in my free Scan125 Control Program for this scanner (assuming you are not already a user).

See http://nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125
Nick - Author Of: Scan125 - Scan75 - DriveR8 - http://www.nick-bailey.co.uk
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Ah, many thanks. Was coding it difficult? I've dabbled in VB, python and C/C++ myself but I've never tried to do hardware control.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

VB and .NET I see. I never thought of those as hardware control languages. I'm well behind the times.