Yaesu VR500 display.. Random pixels missing?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Squelch
Regular
Regular

Yaesu VR500 display.. Random pixels missing?

Post by Squelch »

Anyone got one of these radios and had a similar problem?

Most of the time I switch on lately, over the last few months various bits of numbers and letters are missing form the display. Some times it's worse than others.
kurisu

Re: Yaesu VR500 display.. Random pixels missing?

Post by kurisu »

do you have a picture?
Uniden BCT15X
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Sounds like a dodgy connection to the display to me... :(

Having said that, I have a VR500 and I do get what is almost a missing line when I first switch it on as the batteries start to die, but you can see the missing pixels if you hold it at just the right angle.
Squelch
Regular
Regular

Post by Squelch »

I know it's a while since I mentioned this but not been using the radio much until recently. The display is virtually unreadable now , although the reception is fine on the audio side . What I have noticed though is when left it in the sun or in a warm conservatory for instance the display is almost perfect ,although it does still have an odd one or two pixels missing , the colder it is the worse the display.

Does this seem like a component failure which needs replacement or could there be a repair? I have had the back open but there's no obvious loose connections .
mw0uzo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: mw0uzo

Post by mw0uzo »

I dug my VR500 out of a drawer after about 10 years. The screen was barely working, I think I threw it in there in disgust when the problem got really bad. This thread was the top search result. Here is how I fixed it. Difficulty moderate, SMT hot air station required.
http://mw0uzo.co.uk/index.php/8-repairs ... isplay-fix
Squelch
Regular
Regular

Post by Squelch »

That's useful info, thank you ,
It's about 4 years since I posted this originally and just happened to drop in now . The display is still as bad as it was but I noticed it's a lot worse when the radio is cold. I have stripped it down but could not see how to get at the display under the cover . This explains it nicely and where the problem lies . so I'll have a go at it at some point soon .