Yaesu VR120d

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Yaesu VR120d

Post by Andy » 26 May 2005, 14:30

I'm an 'old hand' as far as scanners go ( I've had lots of them since about 1981, and my current desktop one is an AOR AR5000 - phew, what a piece of kit!) and as my old Tandy handheld has finally fallen to bits I've ordered a Yaesu 120d which should be arriving tomorrow (Fri).
Anyone got one? If so, what do you reckon? My reasons for choosing this one are:

Small size, fits in pocket
Chunky construction
Clear display
Proper BNC antenna socket!

I've heard it can be a bit fiddly to use, but this is only to be expected as it doesn't have a numeric keyboard and relies on a 'function' key and secret handshakes, like the Freemasons...

Anyhow, what do you think?

Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy » 27 May 2005, 18:28

Hooooo, it's arrived. And it's not bad at all! More later

(puts knob-twiddling hat on) :D

fred-the-ted
Regular
Regular

Post by fred-the-ted » 29 May 2005, 13:57

hope it works well for you i was thinking of getting one but finally opted to go for the yaesu vr500 and boy does it work great

Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy » 29 May 2005, 22:44

Thanks Fred. It's excellent, apart from some digital cellphone breakthrough around 453 to 457 Mhz - just where we don't want it! There's a new phone mast just gone up at the local cricket club, and it's probably coming from there.
The main reason I chose the Yaesu was that it uses a 'normal' BNC antenna socket instead of the fiddly miniature one that the Icom has, although if I can't get around this breakthrough prob I might think about exchanging it for the Icom. Stay tuned....

Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy » 01 Jun 2005, 12:19

Update!
I've fallen out with the Yaesu because its spurious responses were making a mess of the 453 to 456 MHz area. Shame, as it was very nice and had proper vol and sq knobs and a proper BNC connector.
So back it went and I'm now the owner of an IC-r5.
This is much better. No breakthrough, more sensitive and brighter audio quality. Downsides are: push-button vol and sq (ugh) and an 'orrible SMA antenna connector. And I've given up trying to understand the BANK system - I just chuck all my freqs into memory numbers 000 upwards...
Must be old age!

fred-the-ted
Regular
Regular

Post by fred-the-ted » 03 Jun 2005, 13:10

lol shame about the fall out with your yaesu thankfully i have no such probs with my yaesu vr500 even on an external antenna it performs beautifully and so far not had any breakthrough problems.