UBC780XLT

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Andyl
New User
New User

UBC780XLT

Post by Andyl »

:? Hi im new to this site but not to scanning. Can someone PLEASE help me to prog my uniden 780xlt for trunking. I can help with freqs for S. Yorks. I can help anyone whos new to scanning in general.(I remember my first time too!) HELP :cry:
Quinny
Regular
Regular

Post by Quinny »

Hi Andy.While I can't help you with programming with your Uniden,I am sort of new to scanning,having had 20+ years with ssb radios,but would appreciate an answer with the scanner I have just bought.

I bought,off E.Bay,a Yupiteru 7100 from a guy in Rotherham,but it appears to be a little deaf.It has a rubber duck aerial with it,and I'm thinking that maybe this is the problem.I can pick up WY police with it,but not a lot else.What sort of aerial should I replace it with,at a reasonable cost,should this be the problem?

Also,I borrowed a scanner many moons ago from a guy I knew,and the bands were pretty much alive then,but appear to be quiet now,so could that be due to my problem above,or are they quiet in general?

Ken.
Quinny
Regular
Regular

Post by Quinny »

Forgot.Log onto Google,and type in Uniden 780XLT,and read with interest.

Ken.
Andyl
New User
New User

Post by Andyl »

Hi Ken. i had one of those and still regret selling it! If your looking for police they switched to airwave in yorks about 2 weeks ago :cry: . so we can only hear w.yorks now. As far as aerials go a discone from maplins will make one hell of a difference as far as range goes. My yupt was supplied with a telescopic whip (is yours an inferior replacement?). My yupt was by no means deaf but on vhf/uhf line of sight is v. important. i have a yupt 7200(7100 with extra modes ect) an Icom R5 and a UBC780xlt :)
Quinny
Regular
Regular

Post by Quinny »

Andy.As I will use the Yupiteru mostly mobile as I'm an HGV driver,and away some nights,a discone wouldn't be an alternative really.If,however,you can recommend a good mobile aerial for it,instead of the useless rubber duck that is currently on it,then that would be better.

Ken.
Andyl
New User
New User

Post by Andyl »

personally Ken i use a maplins ant with a little 1inch magnet and it seems too work ok but i rarely have scanner in the car with me i got it due to its size and easy fitting. I have an old whip with two coils in the centre which i seem to remember worked well, it fits onto a normal mount which you might have already on your truck for a cb aerial. It depends on what you want to listen to you could be better with a resonant ant if you only listen on certain channels.
Quinny
Regular
Regular

Post by Quinny »

Just had a look on Maplins,and I wondered what you thought of this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module ... Products=1

Or alternatively,there's the Watson super gainer, (No pic I'm afraid.)

W-881 Watson 25-1900MHz Super Gainer BNC
* 25 - 1900MHz * 41cm long * BNC Connector

However,the coverage doesn't go down low enough on either,as the Yupiteru goes down to 530khz,although,they are both the same price,but the rubber duck that I have is like the one in this picture.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 80329&rd=1

Ken.
Andyl
New User
New User

Post by Andyl »

Hi ken i use a watson super gainer on my yupt. Although its a fairly good ant compared to some standard ones its really nothing special and quite large. It looks similar to the moonraker one i feel they might be the same. if you are using it in the truck you really wont beat a mobile ant and most are about the same size as the handheld ones you posted.