IC-R5 Power Issue

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

IC-R5 Power Issue

Post by sbsshadow »

Morning all

Where do I start ..............

On the evening after getting in from work on the day that I got my shiney new IC-R5 from Maplin, I put it on charge at 18.30 it came up with the usual NICD ?? I said yes as I have put the batteries that come with it in it. CHG ?? I said yes to charge it.

I then took it off charge at 07.15 the next morning but it still had the battery indicators building up instead of all the battery flashing.

I still took it off charge and then took it to work, then put it on charge again overnight but still in the morning the battery indicator was still building up instead of all blinking.

Then last night while using it, the battery indicator said it had FULL CHARGE and it just started turning itself off and then on again !

I put it on charge and it came up with the questions again as if it was new NICD ?? CHG ?? , I said yes to both and this morning it was still charging but I had to leave for work so I took it off and brought it in with me again.

I suppose my question is ... has anybody had any issues with the charging of this unit ?, are there any known issues ?
Do you have to hold the FCN key in when putting on charge so that it asks you the questions everytime you want to charge it ?

Im also picking up NOTHING in hertfordshire and only limited stuff in LONDON even after scanning through the whole range of frequencies using 12.5 steps.

Is this normal ? have I got a faulty handset ?

Sorry for such a long one people , but any help most appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: IC-R5 Power Issue

Post by Guzzy »

Hi Steve,

Ni-Cd shouldn't be repeatedly charged without discharging. It will ruin them after a while. You need to completely discharge them before recharging them.

This is why people prefer Ni-MH (not nearly as sensitive to re-recharging) or Li-Ion (no need to discharge before recharging).

The upside of Ni-Cd over Ni-Mh or Li-Ion is they keep their charge for longer when just sitting unused.

Have you tried using Alakaline (Duracell for example) just to test the radio, or even try charging the Ni-Cd batteries on a seperate Ni-Cd charger?

As for receive sensitivity, due to the short stubby antenna on any hand held scanner, it's all down to location, location, location!

Jon
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

Post by sbsshadow »

I just dont understand why it never fully charges according to the battery indicator and why it said it had full power last night and then just cut off repeatedly !

Thanks

Steve
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

Update

Post by sbsshadow »

As an update

I have just taken the battery's out and they state on them that a charge for them is 14 - 16 hours !

I have never left them on for that long .....

should I ?

Is this standard ?

Thanks guys

Steve
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Steve - if you are using the charger that came with the Icom or the batteries, then follow the instructions. Actually I get annoyed with rechargables and often I just stick in a couple of Duracells which last for ages.
I find the battery indicator on the R5 is pretty useless - it always says the same, whether the batteries are fully charged or just about to run out!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

Thanks

Post by sbsshadow »

Yea , I see what you are saying .... LOL

The instructions on the R5 says charge for 10 hours .... but on the battery's it says 14-16 hrs

Confused ..... :shock:

Thanks

Steve
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: Thanks

Post by Guzzy »

It's what they call a s ... l ... o ... w charger. :lol:

Invest in a 1 hour quick charger with 2 or 4 (2000+ mAh) AA Ni-MH batteries included. You can pick them up at reasonable prices now.

Saves waiting 14 hours! :shock:

Jon
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

It also saves having to charge as often as Ni-MH batteries last longer.
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

WICKED !

Post by sbsshadow »

I have one of those actually for my digital camera .... :D

But didnt realise I could use them for the R5 ...

FANTASTIC ....

Thanks

Steve
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

Cool

Post by sbsshadow »

Hi all my batteries are :

(2500+ mAh) AA Ni-MH

Will they be ok or to powerful ?

Thanks

Steve
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Hi again Steve. Those are fine. I can't remember whether you can charge the batteries while they are in situ inside the R5, but if you can, it's not a good idea to fast-charge them this way. Fast chargers force lots of current through the batteries and the internals of the r5 might not like the heat.
I always charge my batts seperately. :D
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

Lovely

Post by sbsshadow »

No my fast charger is a seperate unit

I will just charge them in the seperate fast charger unit and then put them into the R5

Hope that will be ok .....

I bought a Discone aerial last night as well and tested that in Stevenage and am now picking up a lot more on the R5

:D

Steve
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Yup, the answer is always the aerial! And the coax....
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.