Ground Plane suitability

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Papa Jupe
Regular
Regular

Ground Plane suitability

Post by Papa Jupe »

I'm using a Moonraker Skyscan antenna with my Uniden BCT15x scanner.

It's a homebase setup, but I'm not in a position to erect an outdoor antenna at the moment.

I live in a conservation area, and haven't quite figured out a way around this.

I also do some scanning when out and about, so the Moonraker seemed like a reasonable enough compromise as it's intended as a mobile antenna:

https://www.moonraker.eu/skyscan-mobile-scanner-antenna

When mobile, the car acts as the ground plane. Which is fine. But when at home I can only sit the antenna on my (wooden) windowsill.

I have a baking tray underneath, for a ground plane, but can't really figure out whether it's big enough for the purpose.

I have a large radiator nearby, but it's away from the window, and my walls are about 3 feet thick, so it's not considered a viable option.

If I was transmitting, I could use a SWR meter to check suitability of the ground plane (baking tray) setup. But, it's only for receiving, so how can I check this without using expensive spectrum analysis meters?
Uniden UBC92XLT
Uniden USC230e
Uniden BCT15x
President JFK 2
Cobra 29 LX EU
Midland Alan 42 Multi
K-PO K-500
Motorola XT660d
Lloytron J2006BK
radtech
Call Sign: Rich

Re: Ground Plane suitability

Post by radtech »

I suppose it depends on what frequency ranges you are going to be listening to and what expectations you have.

For VHF you ideally need a ground plane of around 50cm of area around the antenna, however a baking tin would work to some extent as you are only using it for receive.

It might be worth looking at some projects for making a ground plane 1/4 wave antenna. They are very cheap and easy to make - Google "ground plane antenna" and don't require a metal base to sit on.
Rich
Papa Jupe
Regular
Regular

Re: Ground Plane suitability

Post by Papa Jupe »

Interesting, thanks..

I did Google that, and a quick check came up with this:

https://m0ukd.com/calculators/quarter-w ... alculator/

Looks like something i can try out next rainy day.

Shouldn't have to wait long.
Uniden UBC92XLT
Uniden USC230e
Uniden BCT15x
President JFK 2
Cobra 29 LX EU
Midland Alan 42 Multi
K-PO K-500
Motorola XT660d
Lloytron J2006BK