"MMDVM" interfaces

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
troffasky

"MMDVM" interfaces

Post by troffasky »

Can these MMDVM interfaces be used for anything other than joining public networks like Brandmeister? If you're not familiar, it's a low-power [10mW] transceiver interface that can be hooked up to an Arduino [or similar] and passes a stream of digital audio to/from something [this is the bit I'm trying to get my head around] reachable across a network. It is not SDR so will be limited to whatever type of modulation it supports [ie, probably won't work with analogue NFM] but that means it will run from a tiny little computer.
I suppose what I am asking is, could I do something like use it as a parrot repeater? Connect a pair of them back-to-back across a network? I don't really have a use case as such, I'm just curious...
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Re: "MMDVM" interfaces

Post by bigbloke »

As I understand it there are two things they can be:

A repeater controller
A simplex gateway

As a repeater controller, they can run two analogue radios as though they are a DMR repeater

RX radio---\____MMDVM--USB--{Raspberry pi}-----network
TX radio---/

In repeater and gateway scenarios they require a master server to talk to in order to reach any network

Therefore to do anything "stand alone" other than a repeater requires a DMR master server

there is a linux one out there - but I dont know how mature it is. I know a few were in development but there was
some historical fallout and I think a number of these were dropped.

One last point - the MMDVM software licence of Jon' Naylor states in no uncertain terms that the MMDVM code is for amateur radio
use only
so your on rocky ground using it for other purposes

Regards

BB
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Re: "MMDVM" interfaces

Post by radiogaga »

If you are thinking of LinDMR Master, no longer being developed. There is a legacy of it on GitHub but no doubt quite out of date.

I thought the MMDVM software allowed for “educational” purposes too?
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca