linux and ROIP

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

linux and ROIP

Post by welshevo »

hey all , im looking at setting up a ROIP using my linux laptop to stream various sources from GNU Radio ...i was thinking Zello but this doesnt support linux? anything else like it that can stream using linux? and is also avaialble for mobile devices like apple iphone/ipad...

i want to be able to remote listen to my GNU Laptop anywhere instead of being stuck indoors hahaha
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
mountainpenguin
Regular
Regular

Re: linux and ROIP

Post by mountainpenguin »

icecast and alsa
gedster314
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by gedster314 »

I'm just starting to look into this too but I want to do it with a dmr hotspot.

I have seen videos of hooking up a radio to a computer using the audio ports in.

I have a cheap virtual private server on the internet that I have a mumble server running on. The server is easy to install and configure, 5 min. You then just set up a client on a computer. The mumble client is vox capable. The Android client is limited but I have been able to stream audio from my phone through my mumble server and broadcast to any device connected to my mumble server. Don't see why it wouldn't work with Zello.
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

App is called Plumble save you searching that one out.

GEDSTER314, do you have anything to prevent the VOX latching and permanent transmit?
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

You could use a VM running Windows. I know it defeats the object of running Linux, but it does mean you get the functionality of the Windows programs like Zello, FRN, etc. Configuring the serial ports can be quite complex, and it may mean running the VM under sudo to get the relevant permissions. I'm in the process of trying this myself for Zello, I'll update things when I get around to it.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiogaga »

26mb04 wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 00:40 Configuring the serial ports can be quite complex, and it may mean running the VM under sudo to get the relevant permissions.
Really? It shouldn’t be??? How are you virtualising it?

/dev/tty show what on CLI?
26mb04

Post by 26mb04 »

Running the free VMware player. It's the way my machine is configured, the serial ports (/dev/ttyUSB in my case) are locked down. Running the VM with heightened privileges is probably more risky than just configuring the USB ports correctly, which is why I haven't got around to setting it up properly yet.
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiogaga »

Can you simply not use minicom to unlock? Depends what you use the instance for I guess
26mb04

Post by 26mb04 »

I could use minicom, I'll probably try that next time. To stop the PTT locking up, you could program a timeout on the radio if it supports it (most PMRs do). I had this issue with Zello recently, but due to a long over as opposed to a lockup. The timeout is annoying if there's a genuinely long over, but it does act as a failsafe in the event of a glitch, QRM, etc.