Public DMR gateway....

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Public DMR gateway....

Post by welshevo »

ok folks after having a good discussion with my bro who is also into radio ... we have come up with a plan for us DMR users....well more of an idea... myself and Dreamworx will be looking to purchase a DMR repeater and licence it accordingly etc ... and give the TM1 users access ... so its a bit of a pretend DMR MARC gateway....whats everyones thoughts on this? would you guys be interested in using it? and possible donations for upkeep etc? let us all put our heads together and get a DMR network setup for us TM users! ( Transmission1) if you have any thoughts on this let me know... its kind of what we discussed regards to the 446 stuff but i think better?

any thoughts chaps let me know!!! :mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen: :ugeek: :thumbup:
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Public DMR gateway....

Post by kr0ne »

Sounds expensive.

Are you talking about an amateur or commercial licence?

How many TM1 members do you expect to be within range of your repeater?
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

it will be on a ofcom commercial licence... so the users that use it don't have to have a amateur licence as such... just respect the rules of the gateway and possibly make a donation to show you are a genuine radio user and are willing to conform to the rules as you would any 70cms/2mtrs repeaters etc... as for members that will all depend on antenna location and height etc... but we would expect anyone around the cardiff, bridgend, penarth, barry, newport, areas... thats a guestimate ! so bare with us...
DistantSignal

Post by DistantSignal »

I could be completely wrong but do they let UK Simple licenses out for social use? I thought they are solely for business use. Just a thought. Its a great idea though mate :)
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

well as far as im aware the assigned licence from of-com doesn't have any restrictions in terms of "use" or users... but i will look into this now you've brought it to my attention thanks dude :D ... don't fancy being on the wrong side of the of-com corporation! ha
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

The terms usually say something about the license only being used in connection with the licence holders business.

This is often interpreted by radio hobbyists as meaning that it must only be used for business, i.e. commercial, purposes.

I believe that this interpretation is incorrect however and think that the term 'business' in this case simply means whatever the licence holder happens to be up to. Charities, for example, do not fit into the commercial business shoebox but have no problems obtaining licenses to use in connection with their 'business'.

I think that the intention behind this licence condition is essentially to prohibit the sharing of licenses as well as comms between different licence holders.

Think 'business' as in 'none of your business' rather than as in 'how many staff does your business employ'...

I'm at the other end of the country from you, so really it's nowt to do with me - but I would have thought that you would struggle to make something like this economically viable though... unless you have a pot of cash to sink into it of course!

Fill your boots though and don't fear the 'Com. They actually do normally try to help you to navigate the regs rather than try to punish you for unwitting infractions.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

moved by mods from wales scanning forum

if I understand the proposal, you will :

* apply and pay for a "technically assigned" OFCOM licence in the south wales area (£75-2800 per year)

* purchase a DMR repeater (you said gateway but Im rightly or wrongly assuming it will be a repeater) (errrrr.... £1800-4000?)

* Install that DMR repeater at some venue with good coverage (e.g. Arqiva site - circa £1800 minimum per year)

* feed it with cable and antennas (few hundred quid a year , water ingress )

* Feed it with electricity (couple of hundred a year)

that's a seriously ****** expensive Hobby !

Regards

BB
Last edited by bigbloke on 09 Jul 2015, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

speak to someone like PMR products in Chepstow or Co-channel, or contact communications in Newport to get some idea of costs before
you continue.

Also remember that the box will remain largely unoccupied during the day, so maybe look at secondary revenue streams from local businesses]]
superdave
Call Sign: M6JXP

Post by superdave »

Great idea but as said it will be expensive. The Motorola DR3000 repeater is £2000 to buy brand new and I don't think you'll find many second hand ones about since this is what a lot of business are currently installing.

Then assuming you are going to put it in a good location, eg on a proper communications mast, you will be forking out a hell of a lot of money on site rental. When Arqiva took over the North Hessary Tor transmitter station from the BBC, the GB3WD repeater had to be relocated as Arqiva wanted £2000 per year rental whereas the BBC allowed it to run for free (as it was non profit and there was spare capacity on the tower).

The licence will probably cost in the region of £100-£400 per year depending on the frequency band and the area you want to cover.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

We've done something similar, using teamspeak & a mobile DMR radio aka a DMR gateway that can be accessed if your within range of the gateway or via the android/iPhone teamspeak app that allows you to be anywhere in world & providing you have an Internet data allowance or within range of a wifi hotspot you can associate yourself with the server & connect to the DMR gateway..... Also having a 70cm repeater under a technically assigned license using a separate radio i.e that's linked upto teamspeak provides an RF link to the repeater so whatever is passed on the server in the relevant talk room is passed via the repeater which is about a mile away & works very well as we have been using it now for several months & on the plus side it works across difo protocols as we have a tetra gateway online & tetra to DMR the audio is fine & vice versa......
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

Why not run a FRN room for t.m. and have a couple of 446 out puts or maybe a 446 and 27 mhz mid block output......
Very cheap....to set up and run...?
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
M6TRB
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6TRB

Post by M6TRB »

Hi Welshevo,

I like the sound of what you are trying to achieve.

I have a technically assigned licence only cost £200 a year.

I guess you mean we should all link up our DR3000s via IP site connect?

I would be interested but as for people making donations I doubt they will but if they are prepared to add their repeater to the network then they are already contributing enough in that sense.

Hope you haven't given up on the idea and let me know if other's contact you with interest.

Cheers

1 x MOTOROLA TRBO DM4601
2 x MOTOROLA TRBO DP4801
1 x MOTOROLA TRBO SL4010
M6TRB
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6TRB

Post by M6TRB »

Just thought i'd mention that a few minutes ago I received email from teamspeak advising they been hacked and although they have done what they can to squeeze the hacker out they could still be vulnerable.

This is a real shame as myself and alot of people here use teamspeak for ROIP use. So just be wary of any newbies in your rooms!

1 x MOTOROLA TRBO DM4601
2 x MOTOROLA TRBO DP4801
1 x MOTOROLA TRBO SL4010
Gareth1125
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6IGJ

Post by Gareth1125 »

Just wondered how this project went ??? Did things get sorted? And how was it done in the end? I'm part of a Teamspeak server that has a mix of both hams and non-hams on it, but also runs active crosslinks into RF links around the World. Always looking for someone that would be interested in hosting a FRN crosslink or something similar...

Gareth - www.internationalradionetwork.co.uk
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

hey folks! so after a bit of a crappy end to 2016 and all things radio... things were put on hold, however im always on the look out for various ROIP and cross link ideas.. ive a few ideas in mind just putting pen to paper and getting something in place :)