Decent Base station radio for FRN

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Decent Base station radio for FRN

Post by welshevo »

morning everybody!! so i find myself using FRN more and more daily and my little Baofeng UVB5 i think is on its way out...

after about 10 mins of being on FRN my Baofeng radio display is extremely faint.. the back of the radio is very hot! all which is very common so im led to believe? ...So....to save the local fire brigade a job ive decided i should invest in a proper base station that isn't likely to set fire to my house :D

so i need a base-station that is FRN compatible....i currently have the MOAQC Com port keyer with the jack type connections? so any suggestions on a base station that will do the job? and still use my interface...

i have seen the Alan 406 desktop PMR and this appears to have the mic and speaker jacks...but is this likely to get hot and burn my place down ? i was tempted to invest in something like the Motorola GM series?

any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you :D
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Mad4radio

Re: Decent Base station radio for FRN

Post by Mad4radio »

I'd opt for an ex commercial set pal, I'm using a GM900 via the accessory connector under the bottom of the radio for RX / TX audio as well as PTT & have had no probs at all with it. I've added a few cooling fans just on the chance it gets warm/hot so it's kept cool although it barely even gets warm :-) even on long overs & more to the point because it's built by motorola its can take an absolute hammering. Also using the AQC interface they's no jack plugs on the end of the audio leads that usually connect to your mic in & speaker output on your radio it's just wires connecting to the rear pins on the radio via the accessory connetor that's plugged in under the radio if that makes sense!! Works a treat but yep go for something ex-commercial buddy

Regards
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

thank you for the reply Mad4radio....sounds like a plan! Ex taxi /commercial jobbie it is then... ebay here i come :D thanks man!
DistantSignal

Post by DistantSignal »

How do you get your Baofeng on FRN? I'm new to it all and wouldnt mind giving it a go
buzz500
Regular
Regular

Post by buzz500 »

I use a Intek homebase,legal power,and binatones,a tti and a motorola,all standard radios,suprised how well it all works,can access my gateway from a mile and half away,and live in a hilly area.
Buzz
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

hey...i currently have my baofeng uvb5 sat in its charger plugged into my interface for FRN and use various handies and it works veryyyy well!!! really pleased!
TRON

Post by TRON »

DistantSignal wrote:How do you get your Baofeng on FRN? I'm new to it all and wouldnt mind giving it a go

You need some sort of interface to connect a radio up to your PC. Connecting a handheld to the PC can be done, but it is a PITA with either batteries going flat OR buzzing from the battery charger not being able to power the radio whilst it is running.

The best way to go is have something like a Motorola GM340 / GM360 / GM380 connected to the PC so that it can be run from an external power supply, run on low power on TX all day without overheating and provide many more options with regard to interfacing like remote shut down etc..