446Muppets FRN server, now with added Zello!

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
Adam MPT001
Regular
Regular

446Muppets FRN server, now with added Zello!

Post by Adam MPT001 »

Hi all,

The 446Muppets server on FRN now has a Zello crosslink for users not in range of an FRN gateway. Zello runs on iPhone and Android handsets and is a PTT style walkie talkie app.

To join in the chat download Zello here. Once registered add our Zello channel: FRN 446Muppets

You will be able to communicate with people from all over the world on PMR446 / CB radio, Zello and PC users. All systems are monitored to make sure that bad operators are blocked.

We are always looking for more people to set up FRN gateways, joining us on Zello first will give you a good insight into how it all works.

Hope to catch you on the system :)
TRON

Re: 446Muppets FRN server, now with added Zello!

Post by TRON »

This is so dumb. FRN has been up and running for ages now, and not many people seem to be involved. Its a bloody fantastic way of communicating because the range of your radio setup has little to do with how far you can work.

Maybe it would be worth organizing and advertising a regular "net" that could take place on every Saturday night for instance? That way, people who just log in to the program will hear some voice traffic. This might encourage people to actually set up a node themselves?

It just beggars belief that there are MULTIPLE forums out there which are full of radio enthusiasts, but none of them seem to want to use a microphone of any kind. They all sit here typing away on the keyboard.

I'll be setting up a node on FRN over the next couple of days. Ill make some video's to go on my Youtube channel as well.
francisuk22
Call Sign: FRANCISUK22

Post by francisuk22 »

TRON wrote:This is so dumb. FRN has been up and running for ages now, and not many people seem to be involved. Its a bloody fantastic way of communicating because the range of your radio setup has little to do with how far you can work.

Maybe it would be worth organizing and advertising a regular "net" that could take place on every Saturday night for instance? That way, people who just log in to the program will hear some voice traffic. This might encourage people to actually set up a node themselves?

It just beggars belief that there are MULTIPLE forums out there which are full of radio enthusiasts, but none of them seem to want to use a microphone of any kind. They all sit here typing away on the keyboard.

I'll be setting up a node on FRN over the next couple of days. Ill make some video's to go on my Youtube channel as well.
If FRN dont work out, Try this http://eqso.org/pmr-radio/download_uk.html and is a pretty good software
Audio is good to as i talk to australia CBers over the weekend.
Now: TYT UVF1, Baofeng UV-5R, Baofeng BF-888s
Previously: Binatone Terrain 550, Alan HP450
Scanners: ICOM IC-R5 with MRW-210 Super Gainer Antenna - Grecom PSR-282
TRON

Post by TRON »

That actually looks ok.. DTMF control, voice announcements etc etc.. I'll have to have a play and see what the audio is like.
Adam MPT001
Regular
Regular

Post by Adam MPT001 »

TRON wrote:That actually looks ok.. DTMF control, voice announcements etc etc.. I'll have to have a play and see what the audio is like.

FRN actually has all that too and even more features :) Just saying!
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth »

I'm up for starting a regular net on FRN.
There are usually quite a lot of people on but it would be nice to get even more. All you need is a mobile or PC and internet connection and you can use it, this is a great way for people who don't have money for radios to get involved.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

TRON wrote:This is so dumb. FRN has been up and running for ages now, and not many people seem to be involved. Its a bloody fantastic way of communicating because the range of your radio setup has little to do with how far you can work.

Not everyone is interested in this area of the hobby. I know from my own personal stand-point, well it is an interesting foray, it's not strictly "radio" in my opinion. I have played with it and have my own node (turned off for some years now), but it just doesn't appeal to me like DX on other bands does, without the aid of an internet tunnel to get me there.

Horses for courses my friend. Not everyone see's things in the same shade ;-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Obiwan
Regular
Regular

Post by Obiwan »

I occasionally run a radio gateway into FRN and have noticed that during periods of activity by the 'regulars' PC connections in the room can increase dramatically ... but they never contribute to the conversation ... then after the chat has finished they quickly disappear.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

I would like to give one of these another go as the 1st time round had serious complications
Is they a step by step guide to setting one of these up
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Lots of information on this page...

http://www.freeradionetwork.eu/

or of course use the "search" function on TM1 :-D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
AndyFromHull
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: M0TTL

Post by AndyFromHull »

Hi

Just added zello to my iphone..

found the channel 446Muppets but is asking me for a password...

Anyone have it?

Andy..
Adam MPT001
Regular
Regular

Post by Adam MPT001 »

AndyFromHull wrote:Hi

Just added zello to my iphone..

found the channel 446Muppets but is asking me for a password...

Anyone have it?

Andy..
Hi Andy, there are lots of copycat Zello channels, not sure why people make them to be honest. The official channel does not need a password.
Our channel is "FRN 446Muppets"
jim175
Regular
Regular

Post by jim175 »

Hi There, I see the Decode DTMF check box in the interface settings but what does this actually do? I was hoping to set up a password via DTMF so that I can turn my gateway on/off. I cannot find any information on google, frn website or here regarding the DTMF function. Can anyone help ? :-)

Thanks, Jim

PMR 446 Radios: Motorola XTN-446, Vertex Standard VX-351, Motorola xt460, Motorola T6222, Brondi 446.

Antenna: Home made coax Bazooka. Mobile: Sirio HP4000

Monitor channel: UK 34, UK 14 PMR: 8 (0) and 8 (8)
TRON

Post by TRON »

jim175 wrote:Hi There, I see the Decode DTMF check box in the interface settings but what does this actually do? I was hoping to set up a password via DTMF so that I can turn my gateway on/off. I cannot find any information on google, frn website or here regarding the DTMF function. Can anyone help ? :-)

Thanks, Jim
I second the motion.
Anyone have any ideas?
freqdev
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by freqdev »

been listening on the teamspeak side great to hear you guys.