Radio-tone Radio Over Skype Controller RT-ROIP1 interface

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
tetramoo

Radio-tone Radio Over Skype Controller RT-ROIP1 interface

Post by tetramoo »

Hello Chaps

Has anyone tried the Radio-tone RT-ROIP1 radio to PC interface for RoIP, as an alternative to the Tigertronics Signalink USB sound card.

Cheers
Ramjet555

Re: Radio-tone Radio Over Skype Controller RT-ROIP1 interfac

Post by Ramjet555 »

This looks like a good little product but
rather expensive.

It does appear to have all the features, including DTMF control and protection.

For a plug and play device, its an expensive toy
that does not appear to be on the market.

As a kit, all this should be available for a few dollars.

An echo link controller does it all BUT NO VOX.
I don't trust most radio vox circuits.

I'm wondering how good the VOX circuit is, and if it has voice delay
to catch that first word.

Has anyone got one yet?

Ramjet
TRON

Post by TRON »

CRAP. Absolutely no isolation between PC and radio whatsoever. If you're using a mobile radio as a node radio, and it is well bonded to ground, you MAY get away with it, but a handheld with floating ground? I wouldn't dare!

The ONLY thing that this device has, that other devices like the Signalink don't, is DTMF control over whether the node radio is simplex or linked to the internet. But so what?
Imagine you are out on the street and you decide you don't want to hear ROIP traffic anymore... Just turn you handheld off! Why would you want to disconnect your node radio from the link?
If someone on the link is being a nuisance, its the link (server) that needs attention, not your individual radio.

I sell my interfaces for £100 and make VERY little profit due to the fact that I can't afford to have bulk components delivered from the other side of town like the Chinese ebay sellers can. I also don't have robots putting this stuff together @ 1000 units per hour.
It takes me a week to knock these things together and the whole thing is done by hand.

I guarantee that these guys are making £90 profit from each unit. Disgusting.

Oh, and good luck using pulsed digital modes with that plastic case! False triggers ahoy!
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

TRON wrote:I also don't have robots putting this stuff together @ 1000 units per hour.
That's no way to speak about former peasants from rural China... :lol: