NRN Gateway help for local use

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
radio_ryan
Top Poster
Top Poster

NRN Gateway help for local use

Post by radio_ryan »

Good Evening all.

Been looking at 446 gateway, after pick the Charley Gofe 01 in Derbyshire. been looking at the list there you some in Retford Nottinghamshire, it saying it one ch 5 with 77.0 but I do not know what the call is for the gate any help please, also the is another one in retford to on ch 8 DCS043 again in there a call for this gateway.

there are some other gate that I go past from time to time, how would I find there calls out and is there a full list of them please any ware I have been looking at http://www.freeradionetwork.eu/

thank you for any help, If i like I may set a gateway up has I should have all I need at my QTH :D
superdave
Call Sign: M6JXP

Re: NRN Gateway help for local use

Post by superdave »

What do you mean "what the call is" ?

If you're asking how to get into the gateway, you need to be within range and just key up your radio on the correct channel and tone.

For example the one you mentioned ch5 77.0 that I expect would be PMR446 channel 5 and 77Hz CTCSS tone (probably CTCSS 04 on your radio).

DCS is slightly different and not as many radios will support that, if your radio doesn't then you won't be able to talk into that gateway but you can still listen on whatever channel it is on.
radio_ryan
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radio_ryan »

Sorry missed a word out :oops:

do you need to use a call sign for using a 446 gateway, has I have not used one before ?

i.e. Charley Gofe 01 in Derbyshire. So would I say listening Charley Gofe 1 in Derbyshire for any conacts. did not know I would get where i was but it was coming into my stantion.

do not wont to make a fool of my self on the gateway.

Thank you for any help and advice
superdave
Call Sign: M6JXP

Post by superdave »

No you don't, as it's still PMR446 which is licence free and therefore doesn't require a licence or callsign. Technically gateways are illegal on 446 but I doubt Ofcom care providing people aren't putting massive power through them.

It is good practise though to assign yourself some sort of unique name or callsign and use it when you access the gateway and also state which gateway you are calling through, just so the regular users know who and where you are. I just go by "superdave", and they know it's me. The licensed amateurs normally use their official call signs.
TRON

Post by TRON »

You see, I don't get the whole "callsigns on 446" thing.
With a car, you have a registration number plate so that speed cameras can print free money for the local police force.
With amateur radio, callsign's are issued so interference can looked into by the authorities (and provides a nice "class" system so that RAE/advanced holders can show their disdain to foundation holders).

Why is a callsign needed on 446? What catastrophic occurrence will take place without the callsign? What is the format for 446 and CB callsign's?
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

TRON wrote: Why is a callsign needed on 446? What catastrophic occurrence will take place without the callsign?
Bipgimps cardigan will explode and his tartan Thermos will shatter.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
TRON

Post by TRON »

Fartblood wrote:
TRON wrote: Why is a callsign needed on 446? What catastrophic occurrence will take place without the callsign?
Bipgimps cardigan will explode and his tartan Thermos will shatter.
:lol:

Oh right.. I thought it must be important for SOMETHING...