Wouxun KG-UVD1P... grrrr

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Re: Wouxun KG-UVD1P... grrrr

Post by Guzzy »

Yeti wrote:did no one actually try it before they began mass producing them?
No. Why bother, when you are doing their QC for them. :lol:
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Yeti wrote:
... and for what you pay, they can't be beaten.
As long as the charger doesn't blow up (literally, in some cases), the product works as described (DTMF anybody?) and you don't have to send it back for any reason.

Great value. ;)

As long as you know what you are buying. all well and good.

Buyer beware, or in other words. Do your research first.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

That's the trouble with being an early adopter of anything.

And it's not just the Chinese getting customers to do their QC/R&D for them.

Sony (Playstation 3 - replaced with a cheaper one with a bigger hard drive after 2 months), Microsoft (XBox 360 red rings of death, XBox PSUs catching fire), Nokia (first versions never seem to work right, then replaced with a proper one a few months later), Apple (iPhone - enough said), the list goes on and on.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
M0MTH
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0MTH

Post by M0MTH »

having had mine a little over a month now, there's only one thing that annoys me about this radio. occasionally when switching between frequency and memory mode, the radio decides to reset, defaulting some settings including switching on the chinese voice prompts lol. very strange but only a minor as it doesn't appear to happen very often and the memory channels are never affected.
oh and oddly i have found the dtmf to work with no problems lol. i suspect the tones are too short for some software to decode as they are quite brief. overall a great radio though and great value for money i would say.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

True what you say, but ...
Yeti wrote:Microsoft XBox PSUs catching fire
I had one of these (mine didn't catch fire), and Mi€ro$oft (may their camels have fleas and their loins be barren. A thousand curses on their house) actually shipped out a free replacement power supply.

As for Sony, well, the less said about them the better. :evil:

:lol:
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

Guzzy wrote:True what you say, but ...
Yeti wrote:Microsoft XBox PSUs catching fire
I had one of these (mine didn't catch fire), and Mi€ro$oft (may their camels have fleas and their loins be barren. A thousand curses on their house) actually shipped out a free replacement power supply.

As for Sony, well, the less said about them the better. :evil:

Microsoft started sending out special power cables with a built in circuit breaker, rather than fix the faulty power supplies....
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Yeah, that's right!

Thinking about it. It was just a replacement power lead with a circuit breaker in it.

At least they sent it out before anything exploded or caught fire. :lol:

Never did actually have any problems with it, or the 360. Both were/are great consoles. :D
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

I've lost count of how many RROD 360's I've fixed.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

I got one of the very early ones, picked it up for silly money (silly expensive, not silly cheap, unfortunately) when they first came out. So far, so good. It's been used heavily as well.

Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Anyway, trying to drag this vaguely back on topic... :lol:

The big issue with these Chinese imports, is that lack of someone to shake your fist at over the sales counter when the blooming thing goes wrong.

Ah, that, 'picking someone up by the ankles and shaking them till their dandruff litters the floor' feeling, can't be beat. :twisted:
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

If they were supplied in the UK by a UK company, there would be about 95% less failures to start with :)
YB135
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

M6AXL wrote:If they were supplied in the UK by a UK company, there would be about 95% less failures to start with :)
How'd you work that out?
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

as most uk radio disti's wouldnt sell tat that blew up/didnt work right/would give them grief....
YB135
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

M6AXL wrote:as most uk radio disti's wouldnt sell tat that blew up/didnt work right/would give them grief....
Oh really - there's plenty of electronic equipment that is unreliable, or downright illegal, on sale everywhere just now.

And that's not what you said, you said:
M6AXL wrote:If they were supplied in the UK by a UK company, there would be about 95% less failures to start with :)
Implying that somehow, merely by being imported, and then sold on, by a UK company, then they'd be better. You didn't say they wouldn't sell them.
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

I give up....
YB135
overlandadventures

Post by overlandadventures »

I hope you don't mind me jumping in to ask these questions, but are things like speaker mics etc the same as the kenwood/puxing plugs, and are they an sma male on the radio?
the reason I ask is some of my px777's are getting past there best and I'm torn between px888/vev 1000 which will give me retro compatabilty with batteries, speaker mics, antenna connectors etc, or buy some of these dual banders so I can use the VHF MURS allocation when in america as well as frs/gmrs bands.
thanks in advance
John