Wouxun KG-UVD1P... grrrr

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Wouxun KG-UVD1P... grrrr

Post by Yeti »

Well, first impressions were good.

The automatic band switching that bugged me so badly has been removed.

However, when I plugged in the power supply for the charger, it went bang, smoked, and tripped the house's circuit breakers.

Then, the DTMF tones are too short for the GB3KA repeater to hear!
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
StoatTB

Re: Wouxun KG-UVD1P... grrrr

Post by StoatTB »

Yeti wrote:Well, first impressions were good.

The automatic band switching that bugged me so badly has been removed.

However, when I plugged in the power supply for the charger, it went bang, smoked, and tripped the house's circuit breakers.

Then, the DTMF tones are too short for the GB3KA repeater to hear!
I was listening on S21 when you were talking about your woes with the charger. Is the charger totally goosed? I wonder if they've sent you the wrong one in error.

I'm wondering if there's a way to increase the length of the DTMF tones through the menu system?
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

No, it's a UK charger. no adaptors, just a 3 pin plug. Can only assume mine was faulty when produced.

As for the DTMF tones - well that's a bitter disapointment. If there's nothing can be done about it, it'llbe going back in the box and back on ebay.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

By the by Yeti,

What was the turn around time from 409 shop please ?

Sorry to hear about the PSU though !!

regards

BB
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

bigbloke wrote:By the by Yeti,

What was the turn around time from 409 shop please ?

Sorry to hear about the PSU though !!

regards

BB
The usual - doesn't seem to matter when I order it - it's always a Monday when it gets here!

I paid for it on Tuesday I think?
Ivabigun
Regular
Regular

Post by Ivabigun »

Hi Yeti,
Sorry to hear about the Wouxun. I've got two of them and both seem to ok (fingers crossed).
Tell me is the radio kaputen or not. I think you just got a bummer of a rig have you informed the seller on E-Bay because they do have 12months warranty on them.
I had the same problem with 3 Puxing 777's but they tell me all later versions are now OK.

Regards

Bob
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

The radio works fine - but the charger base has a very dodgy connection on the DC input socket, and the DTMF 'feature' is USELESS.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

The chargers on these radios (and by that, I mean these cheap and cheerful Chinese imported transceivers in general) seem to be very hit or miss.

It's something that has been warned about on here since they first started coming over to the UK.

I've seen the inside of a few of these chargers (different models), and I can only assume they have absolutely NO QC department.

That's the danger of having electronic equipment made by staff who don't actually know what they are making or how it works.

"...attach piece A to piece B and solder"

Scary thought, eh?
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

If you'd bought something nice from a propper UK supplier with propper esti, ce, rfi specifications then this wouldn't happen ;)
YB135
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

M6AXL wrote:If you'd bought something nice from a propper UK supplier with propper esti, ce, rfi specifications then this wouldn't happen ;)
Don't you start with your pish. There's nothing wrong with the specs of the radio - it just has a few annoying niggles - like many do.

And the UVD-1P is CE certified.
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

Yeti wrote:
M6AXL wrote:If you'd bought something nice from a propper UK supplier with propper esti, ce, rfi specifications then this wouldn't happen ;)
Don't you start with your pish. There's nothing wrong with the specs of the radio - it just has a few annoying niggles - like many do.

And the UVD-1P is CE certified.
pish......

haha just had to put the spoon in and stir. I'll stick to my 'propper' radios that don't explode :D

So have Wouxun issued a recall for all the faulty chargers then??? :)
YB135
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

ONE faulty charger - has anyone else reported a faulty Wouxun charger?

Certainly not enough for ANY manufacturer to issue a recall.
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Post by Scott_93 »

Yeti wrote:ONE faulty charger - has anyone else reported a faulty Wouxun charger?

Certainly not enough for ANY manufacturer to issue a recall.
I agree, I mean ONE faulty charger can be considered the runt of the litter, 50 + is when they start to worry, at which point the CE would quite probably look into that approval and kick there backsides back into shape !

Scottt.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

:lol:

You do appreciate that these radios (and by that, I mean all of the different types of cheap Chinese radios) are purchased directly from HK/China (outside the EU)?

Have you never asked yourself why no (legitimate) European distributor or dealership has imported them?

Didn't it seem at all strange that the postage is quite often as much as the actual radio and that when you ask for a refund, the postage price isn't included, or that if you need to send them back for repair or replacement, you have to pay to send them back and pay postage again?

They are what they are, and you get what you pay for. ;)
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

Guzzy wrote::lol:

You do appreciate that these radios (and by that, I mean all of the different types of cheap Chinese radios) are purchased directly from HK/China (outside the EU)?
Yes, bought mine direct from China.
Have you never asked yourself why no (legitimate) European distributor or dealership has imported them?
It's because there's no profit for a UK distributor in them - noone will pay £140 when you can get them direct from China for £70.
Didn't it seem at all strange that the postage is quite often as much as the actual radio
Buy from a reputable website (409shop) rather than ebay and you pay for the radio and get free shipping. The high postage is just about avoiding ebay fees.
and that when you ask for a refund, the postage price isn't included, or that if you need to send them back for repair or replacement, you have to pay to send them back and pay postage again?
1) the Distance Seller Regulations don't apply to companies outside of the UK - if you buy it from China, you should already be expecting that.

2) Some UK companies seem to ignore the DSR anyway... *rocket radio*cough*
They are what they are, and you get what you pay for. ;)
True, and for what you pay, they can't be beaten.

It's just absolutely infuriating about the DTMF - did noone actually try it before they began mass producing them?