another interesting file for WOUXUN users.....

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

another interesting file for WOUXUN users.....

Post by bigbloke »

Another VERY interesting piece of software for WOUXUN owners!

My disclaimer is added as a comment to the file

regards

BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Re: another interesting file for WOUXUN users.....

Post by 5thElement »

Whats interesting about it?
2E0XGA
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

"rock all" if you dont own a Wouxun radio ;-) ;-)

But if you do , it is an executable that claims to expand (or limit)
the frequency range of a number of wouxun radios, from as recent
as the KG-UDV1P back to the KG 699/801/669/689.

I tried to expand the 66-88 MHz 699E (wondered if the VCO would pull down to
6m ) but it wouldnt - so I cant quite sell my old IC-T8E yet.

Regards

BB
vim
Regular
Regular

Post by vim »

Whoa steer clear of this one.

Somthing seemed fishy so I ran a serial port monitor. This thing was writing to the serial port, just not any kind of protocol I have ever seen a wouxun use. This thing was writing the message

"hiwouxun"

repeatedly. Usually strings of illegible ascii are used to communicate.

Further to this when the exe was decompressed and looked at in a hex editor it appears to contain an ascii art picture of a pokemon or somthing. Youy should take it down, it is clearly a fake and possibly hazardous.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

there is a program like this for them - but the radios come fully expanded already.

It's only useful for the very rare official EU import models - which are locked to the 2m and/or 70cm bands and no further.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
vim
Regular
Regular

Post by vim »

Yes I have heard about the bandwidth alteration program for dealers. It is mentioned on the chinese two way radio forum (kind of wouxuns own forum) however, This "program" writes nonsense to the serial port and contains little to no code. I would upload the decomressed binary to show you if I knew how to upload files to the forum.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

well I've tested it here and it does what it says on the tin.

@Yeti: the radios are not quite "fully" expanded but this software lets you pull
a few extra 10s of MHz out of the VCO - its also useful for locking down the radios
into ham bands when taking them abroad "just in case"

regards

BB
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

It was basically released to allow the early UVD1s to cover the Australian UHF CB band.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
vim
Regular
Regular

Post by vim »

well apologies for doubting you, it just seemed odd the departure from visual basic/ascii art in code/insane serial protocol. Maybe wouxun does have a sense of humour after all. :)
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

vim wrote: Further to this when the exe was decompressed and looked at in a hex editor it appears to contain an ascii art picture of a pokemon or somthing. Youy should take it down, it is clearly a fake and possibly hazardous.

at what location in the code (byte offset from base) is this "Ascii art" in your hex editor ?

cause ive just examined it both in IDA (interactive dissasembler) and a hex editor and i'm damned if I can see it

what in the file is "clearly fake" please ?

demonstrate to me what is actually wrong in the file and I'll certainly take it down

regards

BB
vim
Regular
Regular

Post by vim »

You need to decompress the binary first.

1. get 'peid'

This will tell you which compressor has been used. (it is UPX)

2. step through code till decompressor has extracted binary to ram

(this kind of thing here) http://securityxploded.com/unpackingupx.php

3. Dump new binary.

4. Load binary in debugger

have a poke around, the picture is in the main exe module. I use ollydbg for this kind of stuff. If you say it works then who am I to say otherwise. It just seemed rather funny to me. I shouldnt have over reacted.

If you want to further the cause then dump a copy of the serial port transaction of a read and a write operation of the program. I have long suspected the bandwidths of my kg-679 could be altered by the serial port however I have never been able to figure out how. That is why I investigated this program in the first place.
vim
Regular
Regular

Post by vim »

Yo BB, I see you posted on the chinatwowayradio forum asking for the code to unlock the TX-RX of your wouxun. I have email wouxun about this before for my kg-679. All I got from them was:

899 489

As in enter that after powering on with 6 pressed then enter the new limits. I.e. 430490 for 430MHz-440MHz. I never got it to work on the 679. Coincidently the PCB of my 679 is almost identicle to a kg-669. In fact my radio seems to have some of the functions listed in the 669 manual. However the poweron serial number and radio case say 679. wierd.
gr0wl
New User
New User

Post by gr0wl »

vim wrote:Yo BB, I see you posted on the chinatwowayradio forum asking for the code to unlock the TX-RX of your wouxun. I have email wouxun about this before for my kg-679. All I got from them was:

899 489

As in enter that after powering on with 6 pressed then enter the new limits. I.e. 430490 for 430MHz-440MHz. I never got it to work on the 679. Coincidently the PCB of my 679 is almost identicle to a kg-669. In fact my radio seems to have some of the functions listed in the 669 manual. However the poweron serial number and radio case say 679. wierd.
This works on my 689+, however it has no effect... i.e. Power + 6 gives you 2 lines of 6 digit spaces to fill in, one of which is the code, the other the range. I don't see it doing much more than 400 - 470 in any case.