Need advice...!

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
M0JSW

Re: Need advice...!

Post by M0JSW »

You might find something helpful here,especially page 49.
http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-uk_sa ... cument.pdf
Something like a VHF Puxing would probably be handy to have with you.
M0JSW
TEL167
Regular
Regular

Post by TEL167 »

Clarification: In my previous msg I wrote pmr radios, I meant to write pmr446.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Looking into this airband thing a bit more, it appears that if you stick to certain frequencies used by balloonists, paragliders etc, and the distress frequency, then you can legally use an airband radio with only a station licence (a simple send your money off to the CAA affair), you don't need a flight radiotelephony operators licence (the one with the exam), so the idea is starting to look less dodgy than I thought. Makes it all the more odd that paragliders choose not to use their airband frequency and pirate the frequencies just below 2m instead.
overlandadventures

Post by overlandadventures »

As we take vehicles and people to silly places we have had this debate a few times, according to international radio law (the Nirobi treaty I think) in an emergency you are allowed to use "any radio available to you" which is what meant we were allowed epirbs and similar.
the options are
marine vhf ch16
121.5 radio or epirb possibly the best bet as not dependant on being near the sea
406mhz epirb /plb (121.5 only transmits a distress signal 409mhz have a gps built in and transmit a location assuming they have a fix)
satellite telephone, suprisingly cheap these days, a globastar phone can be had new for 295 euros, with UNLIMITED calls/data from your home satellite area for 35eu/month -about the same as running a high use contract deal!
hope that helps
John