FD-278U - Low modulation/deviation

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
wrongsideof40
Regular
Regular

FD-278U - Low modulation/deviation

Post by wrongsideof40 »

Hello - Have owned a FD-278U for several months and for the money, it's a solid piece of kit with a sensitive receiver. However, the transmitted audio is quite reduced, when compared to other handhelds (Yaesu VX2; Motorola Talkabout). The deviation is set for 25kHz spacing so it's not operator error! I don't suppose there's anything as simple at a preset inside that I can tweak for more oomph? If not, is there a parameter I can change from maybe some 'secret' keypad combination or via PC/cable. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks - Martin

PS - While touching on the subject: do any of these Chinese rigs have little-known, unpublished functions, accessable from the keypad, I wonder?
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Re: FD-278U - Low modulation/deviation

Post by 5thElement »

I've found alot of the chinese radios audio are low simply because the hole for the microphone isn't big enough, opening up my jt-208 mic hole vastly improved the audio.

Something to consider maybe?
2E0XGA
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: FD-278U - Low modulation/deviation

Post by BK »

Lots of people with Puxing 777/888s are saying the TX audio is low because the mic hole doesn't line up with where the mic actually is. Some people make the hole bigger, but in any case an external mic works wonders. I had a Yaesu VX170 and a 177 and they both had low TX audio due apparently to the mic hole having PTFE tape over it on the inside of the case to keep it waterproof. Some people take the tape off, but in anticipation of the poor sod who would eventually buy the radio off me and expect it to be waterproof, I got an external speaker mic instead, about £30 quid for the Yaesu one but it sounded wonderful.