Tait T2000 programming problems

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
freddyokel
Regular
Regular

Tait T2000 programming problems

Post by freddyokel »

I've just got a load of really cheap Tait T2000s
The units I'm most interested in and the one I'm having problems with is this:
Tait T2040-421-543
The unit has a Mk1 style full keypad head, but a Mk2 220-01344-02A logic board.
Using Tait TPA 3.01.00.0000 software, I can read and write any of the parameters on the radio.
The software shows that the unit is running version 5.30 with database 500
But, here's the problem. If I try and download a new firmware to the unit, specifically 5.79 then this happens:
The front panel displays 'UPGRADE' and after a while the software gives the error 'The radio is not in download mode. Download failed.'
Does anyone know a way round this?
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Re: Tait T2000 programming problems

Post by 26mb04 »

There are some good threads about T2000s on here that explain them, I seem to recall the 2040 is trunking only and won't do simplex as such. I think you can put a simplex logic board in and it becomes a 2020, but that'd probably cost more than they're worth.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
freddyokel
Regular
Regular

Post by freddyokel »

The only thread that I can find that's relevant to my question suggests programming a single channel into the unit, which fixes the programming problem. That thread relates to a T2020.
Obviously I can't do that as I have a T2040, which as you say is a trunked unit. The v5.79 firmware I am attempting to flash is actually a trunked firmware and I'm attempting to flash it with the Tait Trunked Application.
As for swapping the logic boards, a quick look at section 7.11 of the Tait Service Manual shows that the 220-01344-02A logic board is also fitted to the T2020. The difference shown in the table at the bottom of page 9 between a T2020, a T2040 and a T2040D is mainly the position of the R717/R717A link which selects the lower/upper half of the EEPROM, and the value of the resistor on the 'Board ID' ladder which is irrelevant as this ladder isn't electrically connected to anything.
I'm guessing that my problem is that my unit is a T2040D 'data radio' and is not designed to have it's firmware updated in the field.
Time to get the EPROM programmer out I guess...
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I'm lost there then, I've only ever had the first generation T2000s, I've never got my hands on a second gen radio. You can format the first gen radios by removing the battery backed module and then turning the power on. The radio makes a load of weird noises for about a minute, then goes quieter, meaning the radio itself is reset. I've no idea if this works on 2nd gen radios, I've never even opened one up.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I know this thread is old but seeing its a Tait thread I'll comment.

I only go for Tait series 2 conventional radios now, the series 1 Taits are also good but I prefer the series 2 Tait radios, nice and easy to program and the programming software is available in many places online. The series 1 Taits use DOS software but can still be ran in Windows and programming software for the series 1 Taits are harder to find. I have both but unless they are going really cheap I don't buy series 1 Taits anymore, just series 2 Tait radios that cover 2 meters or 70cms.