Sim Card Handies

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
scanhermit

Sim Card Handies

Post by scanhermit »

A friend wants to do a long charity solo bike ride - I'd be driving a support car, sorting out accomdation etc. I'd like a means of communication where they can instantly contact me if in bother. I want PTT so they don't have to fumble with a mobile phone, especially if the trouble is human-shaped.

I'd be 5-20 miles from them most of the time and doubt hired VHF/UHF radios would do it. I see that there are PTT handies that run off the mobile networks. While still no guarantee of 100% communication, I think these may be a better bet.

Does anyone have experience of them?
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Sim Card Handies

Post by thelad »

Use an App like Zello, so much easyer and cheaper. Headset and Vox.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Ah, thanks - will investigate. Vox is voice activation?
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Correct.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Bear in mind that using a PTT app on a GSM device will still get you 6 points and a £200 fine if not hands-free. Also, they are not real time, there is a delay depending on which one you use, and if you're out in the wilds away from a 3g mast (a signal doesn't always mean data) then they ain't gonna work at all.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
radtech
Call Sign: Rich

Post by radtech »

Admiral wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 22:11 Bear in mind that using a PTT app on a GSM device will still get you 6 points and a £200 fine if not hands-free. Also, they are not real time, there is a delay depending on which one you use, and if you're out in the wilds away from a 3g mast (a signal doesn't always mean data) then they ain't gonna work at all.
I use Zello quite often, very handy and even works OK for me on 2G EDGE with only a 1-2 second delay at worst, fine for non time critical comms.

You are unlikely to get anything that would cover up to 20 miles reliably without repeaters. I'd download Zello and have a play with some headsets/earphones on VOX or remote PTT.
Rich
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Thanks all. Zello sounds like the best bet. Shame that scanning afficionados along the route won't be entertained by stuff like "You said there weren't any f*****g hills on this stretch, you utter d******d!" though.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I've given myself a Fatboy Slim earworm now.

Check it out now, the SIM card handies
Right about now, the SIM card handies

Dowda dowda dowda dow Dow!