White Stick Antenna Connection?

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: White Stick Antenna Connection?

Post by paulears »

An N type centre pin is very thin - the centre pin of a 259 plug would not fit in the N type hole, even if you could somehow jam it in. `They're different connectors and one will not fit into there other - unless the threads and diameters are all seriously away from the standard. A PL259 plug will NOT fit in an N socket. An N plug can be miss-screwed with effort into a 239 socket, but won't make contact.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

welshevo wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 16:31 https://www.amazon.co.uk/X-30-COLLINEAR ... 30+antenna

Look at the first review.... it states there its an N connector?
It is a n-type. The model you link to is an X30 N (N for n-type)
You have the version with an S0239. (X30)
I think it's confusing folk because your socket is an air spaced type.

If it is an X30 colinear, it's designed for best performance between 144-146Mhz and 430-450Mhz because it's intended for the amateur bands. It will provide reasonable performance outside of these ranges to about +/-10Mhz. Thereafter, it will get steadily worse.

The X-30 isn't particularly high gain. It's a short antenna physically, so uses phased matching coils to provide some gain. It's very modest however and outside of these bands, gain will reduce even further.

Anyway, get it up outside as high as possible and use good low loss feeder. It will need it.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Post by welshevo »

very well put kilimax :D looks like a new antenna is needed as i cover anything from Aircraft to Mototrbo.... any suggestions for a decent indoor / outdoor on window ledge as renting so cant attach to the building as such?..... any suggestions would be amazing :)
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

welshevo wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 20:12 very well put kilimax :D looks like a new antenna is needed as i cover anything from Aircraft to Mototrbo.... any suggestions for a decent indoor / outdoor on window ledge as renting so cant attach to the building as such?..... any suggestions would be amazing :)
I think you're going to struggle for good all round performance if you're hanging your aerial out a window. Regardless of aerial, it's not going to perform well so close to your building. Even the X30 would work reasonably well up in free space. Aerials are easily detuned when close to other objects.

You mention aircraft and DMR, but what bands? Is it civilian, military or both for airband? What's your lowest & highest frequency you listen to?
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Ahem...... SO239...... just saying Buick, me auld mukka ;-) :lol: :ugeek:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

MrWeetabix wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 15:01 Ahem...... SO239...... just saying Buick, me auld mukka ;-) :lol: :ugeek:
I knew that, Was just testing you ;)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Post by welshevo »

so now we have established the connection is SO239 why is the antenna poor at receiving stuff in the 430 and 440 bands? this antenna was sold as a wideband collinear? any suggestions on something that will do the job indoors/ slightly outdoors on a window ledge lol im in the city so shouldnt have major issues.... ive looked at the desktop discone? varied reviews? ideally i want a one antenna solution for my SDR.... is this possible :D? thank you all for helping me out :D
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

For info, here's a couple of links to Amphenol's website where you can compare SO239 dimensions to N type. Interestingly, both series have the same 5/8 (.625) -24UNEF coupling thread.. I never knew that.. :shock:

https://www.amphenolrf.com/connectors/n-type.html

https://www.amphenolrf.com/connectors/uhf.html
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Have you stuck it on a VSWR meter and checked that - a bad reading would indicate a real fault, like maybe the centre pin not being connected?