Motorola GP320 programming help

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Motorola GP320 programming help

Post by 310den »

Not used to doing Motorola so some assistance needed. I have various versions of software and the cable but I cannot connect to the radio. Mind you I know nothing about how to programme these so can someone post or point to a basic guide please? :thumbup:
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Motorola GP320 programming help

Post by 310den »

No-one? Anyone?
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

Presumably you've got the right comm port selected in the CPS for the cable and Windows displays it as a known port? is it a genuine Motor cable or a USB cheapy? you may need a driver software for a no name cheapy USB cable.

You'll need the right version of CPS to match the version of firmware in the radio but even if you use wrong versions (eg a really new radio with old CPS) it should still attempt to read the radio then give an error message about version mismatch.

Does anything happen when you try to read the radio? error messages etc?
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Thanks for replying and helping on another of my threads.

It is a cheapy cable but the driver appears to be correct. I get this error: 'can not create unknown radio componant'
The correct port is selected in the software.
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

310den wrote:Thanks for replying and helping on another of my threads.

It is a cheapy cable but the driver appears to be correct. I get this error: 'can not create unknown radio componant'
I'm sure I've had that in the past and never solved it other than by using a PC with a genuine serial port and a genuine programming cable. I very rarely program analogue kit these days.

I used to be able to use any PC (Win XP, Win7) with a ATEN usb-serial adaptor and a genuine programming cable and all worked, then about 2 years ago I noticed non of my laptops would program unless I had a real serial port. I never figured out why and assumed some windows update had trashed the USB-Serial lead. I even got a brand new ATEN usb-serial lead and that still didn't work and those Aten leads were always the least trouble with other serial devices. I think I had this issue on about 4 laptops of various ages and operating systems (XP, W7 and W10)

ALl the usual tricks didn't work (change serial port speed to 9600 or try other settings, run CPS as administrator, re-install CPS, re-install USB lead etc)

Sorry that's not much help but if you have any PC, even some 15 year old XP thing with a real serial port it might work.
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

wheelbarrow wrote:
310den wrote:Thanks for replying and helping on another of my threads.

I'm sure I've had that in the past and never solved it other than by using a PC with a genuine serial port and a genuine programming cable. I very rarely program analogue kit these days.

I used to be able to use any PC (Win XP, Win7) with a ATEN usb-serial adaptor and a genuine programming cable and all worked, then about 2 years ago I noticed non of my laptops would program unless I had a real serial port. I never figured out why and assumed some windows update had trashed the USB-Serial lead. I even got a brand new ATEN usb-serial lead and that still didn't work and those Aten leads were always the least trouble with other serial devices. I think I had this issue on about 4 laptops of various ages and operating systems (XP, W7 and W10)

ALl the usual tricks didn't work (change serial port speed to 9600 or try other settings, run CPS as administrator, re-install CPS, re-install USB lead etc)

Sorry that's not much help but if you have any PC, even some 15 year old XP thing with a real serial port it might work.
OK thanks for that.
I do have an old laptop with a serial port with XP on for older radio software. I will have to get a lead with a serial connector on as this Chinese one is USB.
I probably won't bother as only got this one radio and doubtful In will get any others in if I get issues like these.
:thumbup:
Freddie
Regular
Regular

Post by Freddie »

Is your Windows 32bit or 64bit? The Motorola CPS only plays nicely with 32bit Windows (my "good old fashioned" XP 64bit laptop with serial port didn't work with my GP340, I ended up having to install a Virtual Machine with Windows XP 32bit)
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Freddie wrote:Is your Windows 32bit or 64bit? The Motorola CPS only plays nicely with 32bit Windows (my "good old fashioned" XP 64bit laptop with serial port didn't work with my GP340, I ended up having to install a Virtual Machine with Windows XP 32bit)
I did try it on my PC which is 64 bit so will try with my win 7 laptop which is 32 bit and has virtual XP. I do have a slow laptop with XP on also I could try.

Thanks.
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Got it working as above on win 7 32 bit.

Cheers.
Freddie
Regular
Regular

Post by Freddie »

Glad to have been of help!

I was tearing my hair out for ages trying to work it out when it happened to me! Especially as commtool works on x64, it's only the CPS itself that doesn't!
Freddie
Regular
Regular

Post by Freddie »

Glad to have been of help!

I was tearing my hair out for ages trying to work it out when it happened to me! Especially as commtool works on x64, it's only the CPS itself that doesn't!
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Freddie wrote:Glad to have been of help!

Nightmare. Glad I asked on here as I don't have much hair to tear out now! :lol: