MD-2017 CPS now available for download

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
User avatar
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1397
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 17:53
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"
Contact:

MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by bigbloke » 22 May 2017, 22:41

The CPS for the new TYT Dualbander was uploaded to the TYT website 2 days ago,

quick potted highlights (based upon feature set in the CPS software)

dual band with VFO mode
128 bit encryption
voice record capability ?
still 31 channels in the scan list
no apparent limitation to the number of channels in a zone (I just added 40)

regards

BB

User avatar
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 2449
Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 23:52
Location: North London
Contact:

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by radiosification » 23 May 2017, 11:35

Thanks for the heads up
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification

User avatar
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1397
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 17:53
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"
Contact:

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by bigbloke » 26 May 2017, 13:08

Some interesting feedback to a TYT users group from someone who has received one of the
sample release MD2017 radios:

Code: Select all


I received a (test) sample of the TYT-MD-2017 on Monday. 
It is still not available for sale to the public due to issues that are presently being corrected by the manufacturer:

1) Inability to lower volume on the analog frequencies ( 2 meters as well as 440 Mhz.) completely.. 
It cannot be muted when the volume control is completely turned-down. The audio on DMR 
(both 2meters and 440 MHz.), however, can be muted...

2)Once a frequency in a zone (either in A or B)is activated, you cannot switch to the other 
(either in A or B) nor be able to move to another zone unless transmission stops

3) The radio arrived from the factory with 440 MHz (upper/"A) and 2 meters (lower/"B"). It would not accept a 
code-plug that I had written with the Firmware 1.14 prior to delivery. I had to re-write the code-plug..I tried 
changing the order (make 2 meters as upper/A" and 440MHz. as lower/"B") but all that did was erase the 
code-plug that I had written previously Please do not waste your time writing a code-lug unless you have the 
radio in hand and have downloaded the factory code-plug before proceeding with writing a code-plug..

5) The portion of the PC Programming cable that fits into the radio housing is loose. The screw holding the 
cover to the PC programming "port" kept on falling-off when removed.for programming..

TYT has always responded quickly to fix issues on its radios, so, HOPEFULLY, we will see a batch of 
"new" MD-2017 in the "market-place" in a few weeks

Regards

BB

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by Admiral » 27 May 2017, 07:47

The concerning thing for me from that quick review is not that the firmware needs tweaking, but the build quality issue highlighted by the author. Firmware will constantly be updated post production to iron out bugs, but bits falling off sounds like they may be flying their cost cuttings a little too close to the sun.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

paulears
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 724
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 22:41
Call Sign: G4RMT
Location: North East Suffolk
Contact:

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by paulears » 11 Jul 2017, 10:15

Is the Retevis RT82 software the same thing as the TYT - it seems very similar? One of my Chinese suppliers offered me an 82 the other day and they're sending me one to try?

User avatar
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1397
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 17:53
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"
Contact:

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by bigbloke » 11 Jul 2017, 13:55

I believe their the same innards, with a smaller case size for the asia / pac market (smaller hands)

when it arrives can you confirm interoperability between the RT-82 and the MD380 when both use enhanced encryption please ?

the keys look the right length for 128 bit

regards

BB
Last edited by bigbloke on 11 Jul 2017, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1397
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 17:53
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"
Contact:

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by bigbloke » 11 Jul 2017, 13:58

TYT today released a new firmware update for the MD-2017

it replaces the record option and gives you 100,000 contacts instead

so thats 4 variants of the MD2017 alone

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1246
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 11:17

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by BK » 11 Jul 2017, 20:47

paulears wrote:One of my Chinese suppliers offered me an 82 the other day and they're sending me one to try
Martin Lynch have had the RT82 in stock for a few days now, they seem to be just about the only UK source of programming cables at the moment. Cheaper from China of course, if you don't mind waiting.

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1246
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 11:17

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by BK » 11 Jul 2017, 21:37

bigbloke wrote:I believe their the same innards, with a smaller case size for the asia / pac market (smaller hands)
Wouldn't have thought there'd be much scope for the case being any smaller, I was under the impression that the move to a Motorola style connector was necessitated by lack of space. The RT82 looks a bit chunkier than the RT8 anyway
http://blog.retevis.com/wp-content/uplo ... 2-Size.jpg

User avatar
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1397
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 17:53
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"
Contact:

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by bigbloke » 11 Jul 2017, 22:10

Well, hopefully this pic shows there is a difference between the two:
rt82 v 2017.jpg
[source: DMR facebook group]

i dont like the antenna on the 2017

regards

BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1246
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 11:17

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by BK » 12 Jul 2017, 06:24

Hmm, I can't really tell from that photo as the TYT is closer.

People are reporting that the 2017 stock antenna doesn't work very well on the amateur band.

paulears
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 724
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 22:41
Call Sign: G4RMT
Location: North East Suffolk
Contact:

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by paulears » 12 Jul 2017, 07:22

Re the enhanced encryption, I'll give it a try when it comes. I think the symmetrical antenna mount looks a bit nicer. I was under the impression that it's just sealing that requires the flat waterproof connector rather than type with sockets. My IP Kenwoods have a similar arrangement too.

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1246
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 11:17

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by BK » 13 Jul 2017, 11:36

bigbloke wrote:Some interesting feedback to a TYT users group from someone who has received one of the
sample release MD2017 radios:

Code: Select all


I received a (test) sample of the TYT-MD-2017 on Monday. 
It is still not available for sale to the public due to issues that are presently being corrected by the manufacturer:

1) Inability to lower volume on the analog frequencies ( 2 meters as well as 440 Mhz.) completely.. 
It cannot be muted when the volume control is completely turned-down. The audio on DMR 
(both 2meters and 440 MHz.), however, can be muted...

2)Once a frequency in a zone (either in A or B)is activated, you cannot switch to the other 
(either in A or B) nor be able to move to another zone unless transmission stops

3) The radio arrived from the factory with 440 MHz (upper/"A) and 2 meters (lower/"B"). It would not accept a 
code-plug that I had written with the Firmware 1.14 prior to delivery. I had to re-write the code-plug..I tried 
changing the order (make 2 meters as upper/A" and 440MHz. as lower/"B") but all that did was erase the 
code-plug that I had written previously Please do not waste your time writing a code-lug unless you have the 
radio in hand and have downloaded the factory code-plug before proceeding with writing a code-plug..

5) The portion of the PC Programming cable that fits into the radio housing is loose. The screw holding the 
cover to the PC programming "port" kept on falling-off when removed.for programming..

TYT has always responded quickly to fix issues on its radios, so, HOPEFULLY, we will see a batch of 
"new" MD-2017 in the "market-place" in a few weeks

Regards

BB
My rt82 arrived yesterday, didn't get much free time to play with it yesterday (probably get even less today) but first impressions are good - its a nice solid radio, the rollerball seems to work OK without getting rolled accidentally, certainly haven't seen any of the problems listed. The programming cable is not loose, although the slot is too small for a penny so you end up just doing it finger-tight which might not be quite enough. The only oddity I've found so far was an annoying click on changing channel which happened until the first time I transmitted and then it became a voice announce of the channel number instead (which you can turn off). I'll post updates as time allows.

User avatar
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1397
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 17:53
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"
Contact:

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by bigbloke » 15 Jul 2017, 11:11

I got confirmation that the RT82 enhanced encryption is fully compatible with the MD2017 / MD380 / MD390 / MD9600 series

definitely buying an MD9600 , might now buy an RT-82 , the 2017 seems mechanically too unreliable.

Regards

BB

User avatar
Farty
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 3606
Joined: 20 Oct 2008, 14:40
Location: IO92ND

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by Farty » 15 Jul 2017, 11:51

I may treat myself..
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests