QYT 8900 MINI

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

QYT 8900 MINI

Post by listner132 »

Hi guys a good mate of mine bought one of these small radios at the weekens from the blackpool rallie only to fint out when he got home that the radio had no output power what so ever...it was second hand for £30 all boxed..still had the seal intact so i dont think its been messed with. I am looking to see if anyone knows what the output for this radio would be and were to purchase said output ?

thanks for any help.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: QYT 8900 MINI

Post by paulears »

Well, they're 25W and £50 brand new. You cannot buy 'output'. I would doubt it is faulty, I assume you stuck it on a meter and this is what you are basing your no output on? They're not the easiest radio in the world to programme, so I suspect that it actually doesn't have anything in the memories, so you have perhaps empty TX slots. Have you programmed in the info it needs? Need a few more details really. So many things in the menu could prevent the thing transmitting. If you didn't use a meter, how did you determine there is no output.
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

Thanks for reply...yes i used a meter also a dummy load nothing showing on power meter also when i am txing the amp meter on my power supply does not move...so i would prety much say the radio has no output.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Fingers crossed it's programming then - let us know!
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I have one of these and you do not require them to be programmed. There's a VFO mode. So long as the radio is on VFO mode and on a frequency it will TX on, it should be good to go.

Stupid question No 1, Have you tried it on both VHF & UHF?
Stupid question No 2, Have you carried out a full reset?

As for the RF power module, it's a wideband RF mosfet (AFT09MS015NT1 N-channel) so a single device for both bands.
I presume it receives ok?
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

yes it rx perfect..amd yes i have tried on both bands in vfo mode so i know ts nothng to do with programming..I have done full reset on radio..when in tx mode on high power the power meter on radio still shows full scale on meter but just no rf output.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

You can purchase the power mosfet from Mouser electronics

http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/N ... GwodZY0Ckg

I've never opened mine as it works but there's a number of sites on the web with reviews and they provide a decent breakdown of the circuit and what it does etc. I also believe there's a power control on the board.A couple of sites below. They may give you some more info before you decide to buy a new RF amplifier although they are not expensive.

https://sites.google.com/site/g7eob1/ra ... 900-review

http://www.amateurtele.com/index.php?artikel=213
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: