DMR Radio choice fdma tdma

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
kins

DMR Radio choice fdma tdma

Post by kins »

I'm looking to get a DMR or digital voice capable HT. The more I look in to it the more confusing it gets.

Ideally id like a radio that can operate FDMA and TDMA. To give me listening flexibility.

What is the most used system?
MH14
Regular
Regular

Re: DMR Radio choice fdma tdma

Post by MH14 »

If you mean amateur radio wise, then two slot TMDA is used.

Most popular HT in use on amateur DMR surely has to be the cheapo TYT MD-380 (or one of the clones of it - comes badged in other names too).

Amateur radio wise, there are two main systems, Phoenix (part of DMR-MARC) and Brandmeister. Both use TDMA and you can hop from one to another as you please.

There are also some smaller clusters and stand alone repeaters, but all use TDMA still.
kins

Post by kins »

Ok thanks for that. The TYT looks very reasonable
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

Be aware that DMR radio's don't usually work out the box (so to speak). You have to program required channels, or what is known as writing a code plug. Although there are code plugs around for downloading if you so prefer.

So it is perhaps best that you get the software and lead too. In the case of the TYT, the lead and software is just a few quid. But more than often, TYT's (and clones) will come as a package with lead and software anyway.

The Retevis RT3 is the same as a MD-380. You will find both (with lead/sw) for sub £100 new.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The generic ham codeplugs are everywhere and work well, except that they have every DMR repeater and 'agreed' simplex channel in them, which is a lot, unless you travel the UK then these codeplugs are bloated beyond usefulness, get one if you're a complete noob to see how they work, but otherwise write your own for your local stuff.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

kins wrote: Ideally id like a radio that can operate FDMA and TDMA. To give me listening flexibility.
Look up and have a read on what FDMA and TDMA actually mean so you understand this topic better. It will be useful when you're buying and understanding these digital technologies. DMR is all meant to be TDMA, however many other standards are also TDMA, so saying you'd like a TDMA and FDMA radio is very vague. TETRA, OpenSky, P25 phase 2 are just a few other TDMA standards I can think of off the top of my head.
FDMA on the other hand, is used for literally everything else including analogue FM. Channels are separated by frequency therefore the EM spectrum is being shared by the technique of FDMA. FDMA and TDMA are not digital standards so buying a radio that "does TDMA and FDMA" really isn't a useful way to identify the radio. (Not trying to bash you here, I hope it doesn't sound like I am. I'm just trying to inform)

If you want a DMR radio then buy a proper DMR radio and it will be able to do TDMA, as all DMR radios are meant to. Just avoid the cheap crap Chinese ones that can't do TDMA and you'll be alright. Here is a post I wrote about the DMR radios that can't do TDMA and should be avoided:
http://radiosification.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... avoid.html

DMR is the most widely used standard I would say. It is used very widely in both the commercial and amateur worlds so I would recommend getting a DMR radio.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
kins

Post by kins »

Thanks mate coincidentally I subscribed to your channel and commented on one of your videos earlier. Great channel really cleared alot up for me