Trilogy radios

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
troffasky

Trilogy radios

Post by troffasky »

Not clear why they've bothered to slightly rebrand Kydera radios - surely if you're going to re-brand something, you either do it completely or not at all:

http://www.trilogy.org.uk/?page_id=22

Most of the pages on that site are a bit odd - looks like it's blank but if you start to scroll down it loads the images. Not sure if the prices are reasonable as nobody else seems to sell any of the Kydera models that they do. Kydera menu interface looks decent enough in various Youtube videos.

I like the look of the BFDX BF-TD505, a.k.a. Connect Systems CS-580:

http://www.va3xpr.net/review-connect-sy ... ble-radio/

The "advanced scanning function" sounds intriguing. I wonder how far from stock the CS firmware is?
troffasky

Re: Trilogy radios

Post by troffasky »

troffasky

Post by troffasky »

Brief video of CS-580/BFDX BF-TD505 in use, you can see it scanning and then instantly comes up with all the parameters when it hits a signal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c27K5x5OZ-M
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Very interesting.

dmr.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Admiral wrote:Very interesting.

dmr.PNG
Just imagine how much havoc this will cause on commercial repeaters when someone irresponsible gets their hands on one
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

I wouldn't think it would be any more or less disruptive with DMR than with analogue repeaters.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

There was never an analogue radio (at least that I know of) that could find analogue repeater CTCSS or DCS and program it in for you so you can talk back to them straight away
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Don't be too surprised if this time next year your local Shopwatch has been encrypted.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Must have one........no faffing about jus scan n listen like the good old days of analogue....
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

radiosification wrote:There was never an analogue radio (at least that I know of) that could find analogue repeater CTCSS or DCS and program it in for you so you can talk back to them straight away
Does this radio find the input frequency for the transmitter for you?
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Post by welshevo »

Admiral wrote:Very interesting.

dmr.PNG
what radio is this reffering too as many are talking about the kydera? and also the BFDX? im intrigued as to what info it pulls up?
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Post by welshevo »

sorry admiral ignore me ive found the article ;) hahaha
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

troffasky wrote:
radiosification wrote:There was never an analogue radio (at least that I know of) that could find analogue repeater CTCSS or DCS and program it in for you so you can talk back to them straight away
Does this radio find the input frequency for the transmitter for you?
That's a very good point actually. I should have realised that.
Nevertheless, if you transmit on a repeater output with the correct settings, radios within range of you set to use that repeater should still hear you. (I'm only 85% sure on this so don't quote me)
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

Yeah, the other radios will hear you, if they can hear you.
If the DMR repeater is keyed up all the time, either they won't hear you or you'll just disrupt them.
I don't know if all DMR repeaters are always keyed up but when messing about with DSD I certainly found some transmissions that sounded like DMR and were always present but didn't seem to have any content, and some that came and went, as you'd expect them to do. Or maybe I just don't know what DMR sounds like.

DMR spec might actually allow for sending TX frequencies - I would have thought it would be useful/essential for Tier 3.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

troffasky wrote:Yeah, the other radios will hear you, if they can hear you.
If the DMR repeater is keyed up all the time, either they won't hear you or you'll just disrupt them.
I don't know if all DMR repeaters are always keyed up but when messing about with DSD I certainly found some transmissions that sounded like DMR and were always present but didn't seem to have any content, and some that came and went, as you'd expect them to do. Or maybe I just don't know what DMR sounds like.

DMR spec might actually allow for sending TX frequencies - I would have thought it would be useful/essential for Tier 3.
It depends on the system. Most of the non-trunking tier 2 systems (trunking on tier 2 would be a proprietary system like capacity plus or hytera pseudo trunk) only transmit occasionally without there being any voice or data traffic. I'm not really sure what the point in this is. In capacity plus systems, there will be a rest channel identifier, so the repeater the rest channel is on will transmit roughly every few seconds for a short burst.
It's rare to see a system that is transmitting constantly. A badly configured system (or one that sends a lot of data like locations) can end up transmitting nearly all of the time though.
What do you mean by sending TX frequencies? In a tier 3 system, the trunking control channel will tell the radios what channel to move to, if that's what you mean? But I'm not seeing how it's related to how this radio will affect a DMR system unless you're saying that the radios in a tier 3 system would be sitting on the control channel most of the time and so won't hear anyone transmitting on one of the voice channels unless they're in a group call.