Motorola GP640 help

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
Yorkshiregrump
Regular
Regular

Motorola GP640 help

Post by Yorkshiregrump »

I have a motorola gp640 i bought online. I have flashed the wrong codeplug and like a fool i didnt backup the original properly.
does anyone have a codeplug or any software that might help?

GP640 UHF
tanapa: PMUE1436D
ESN: 041/04/126537
VERSION NO: R02.09.01

kinda hoping ive not turned it into a paper weight {bnghd}
NiCdeth

Re: Motorola GP640 help

Post by NiCdeth »

You might need to re-flash the firmware and start from scratch. The flashing software is around, as is the firmware. I'm not familiar with the 640, but I had a similar problem with a 340 and ended up reflashing the firmware on it.
Yorkshiregrump
Regular
Regular

Post by Yorkshiregrump »

I was hoping to avoid a re-flash of the firmware. The cable I have doesn't support firmware flash so I would need to find the correct cables
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

Could you mod the cable? It's only a ground wire that needs adding. I can't remember what pin it needs to go on though.
Yorkshiregrump
Regular
Regular

Post by Yorkshiregrump »

Didnt realise thats all it need for flashing the firmware. I'll have a look for some info. thanks
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

Did you program the wrong firmware or just program the wrong codeplug?

The MPT series of radios (GP640, GP680, GP688, GM660, GM1280) can all take each others codeplugs without any problems, you can load a non display GP640 codeplug into a GM1280 mobile, the cps warns about mismatching products but I've done it many times without issue, other than having to check settings are ok like mobile power, button options etc.

If you've flashed the wrong firmware then that's a different matter and often bricks the thing. R02.09.02 is the most recent firmware but there are so little differences in the last 10 years it's hardly worth the potential risk of trashing a radio by firmware upgrading it.

For default codeplugs there are a load in the default program folder where the CPS is installed (C:\programs\motorola\MPT CPS (or whatever it's saved as) - I can send a default GP640 codeplug if you need one.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I would avoid flashing the firmware unless it was really necessary. You can find the programming software online from various radio hobby sites, but if the first one you download don't work then try downloading from other sites some work some don't.

Does your radio make any beeps when you switch it on and if so how many beeps does it make? I know on some you have to press some buttons on the side of the radio to get it in programing mode then once its programmed switch it off then back on while holding down the side button.

PM me if your still having problems.
Yorkshiregrump
Regular
Regular

Post by Yorkshiregrump »

Sorry for the delay guys. I have not tried flashing the firmware. what i did do is make alterations in the cps and made a hash of it, ive then tried to fix it using a codeplug from one of my working gp640's thinking they were the same. when I switch it on, all I get is a constant tone.
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

Constant tone? - you sure you haven't got the top dial set to a position with nothing programmed into it? (just a thought)

You can program any GP640, 680, 688 and GM660, GM1280 codeplug into another other radio type, the CPS warns of a model mismatch but it works and never trashes the radio (well unless you've incredibly unlucky)

Why not read the codeplug back, check it and write it back it.

Only other thought is: it definetly IS a GP640 and not a GP340 with the wrong sticker on it? while it shouldn't be possible, I've actually programmed a GP340 using the MPT GP640 CPS and codeplug and it trashed the radio (I think I ignored the warning it gave, thinking it was just a codeplug version mismatch!). -some idiot had repaired the radio and used the wrong case sticker! so compare the model number on the label.