MD380 TG

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

MD380 TG

Post by zippy »

sorry, not sure this is in the right bit as I cant find a digital section, please move if it shouldn't be here.

okay, got a 380, ive got the hang of programming it, fairly simple as it happens, the only thing that bugs me is the TGs are assigned as contacts for the whole radio, or so it seems.
so if I have a zone of the local hospital, I have assigned the tgs to departments so it looks nice on the set, so for example tg100 is named 'porters'.
but, when I change zones and listen to my local shopwatch, also on tg100, when they speak I get 'porters' on the screen, which is a bit daft.
is there a way to have more than one tg of the same number?? this would be the same if a ham repeater had tg1 as local and another had it as worldwide. im sure im missing something simple here.
is this an md380 thing or do all dmr sets work like this.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: MD380 TG

Post by BK »

I don't understand the problem here, what's stopping you programming in multiple contacts with the same TG?
zippy

Post by zippy »

its probably me that doesn't understand BK.
please tell me how to do this with 380 software.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

OK, I've had a play and you're right, the TYT software won't let you assign a Call ID that already exists. Maybe some other programming software like Chirp would allow this?
zippy

Post by zippy »

I use chirp with my uv-5r but it wont see the md380.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Responding to the original question, no you can't set different names for TGs on different frequencies or systems as far as I know. It is the same on MotoTRBO radios too and every other radio I've tried. What I do is just call it "100" for example if the group is 100.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
zippy

Post by zippy »

that's a shame, it would have been nice to rename a TG in a different zone so it was relevant to that zone only rather than to the whole radio.

I guess the 380 wasn't designed for earwiggers? it is a two way radio after all.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

It's good to know this is common to Motorola radios too and not just a TYT problem, but it looks like a really boneheaded decision. What if a radio has to be used at different sites that happen to use the same talkgroup for different things?
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Generally radios aren't used in different systems. Or at least the manufacturers don't want them to be. You buy a radio and use it on your company system and that's it. If you want to use another company system them you can buy another radio to keep on that system. I think that's how they view it. And amateur and radio enthusiast use isn't even considered as these are purely commercial radios.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

I remember on another forum people were saying the same thing about the radio ID, wishing you could have different IDs for different systems. Again, the same point applies that they're commercial and designed for use on just one system.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

In these situations I just set the TG string to T-GROUP1

at least its unambiguous

Regards

BB
zippy

Post by zippy »

well yes, or just leave it as '100'.

but with this particular hospital, it works 4 frequencies on both time slots and to date I've logged 7 active TGs, so after listening for a while I was able to name the TGs, PORTERS, DOMESTICS, LAUNDRY, SECURITY, MAINTENANCE1, MAINTENANCE2, CATERERS, which looks cool when they come up on the screen, but as I said in my opening post, change to shopwatch also on TG100 and 'PORTERS' looks a bit daft on the screen.

I guess they weren't designed for more than one system. I wonder if the DV-1 has a better method?
jhampton2000

Post by jhampton2000 »

>it works 4 frequencies on both time slots and to date I've logged 7 active TGs
So are the TG's tied into specific frequencies or is this a trunked network and they can roam across any frequency? If the former, you might want to think about changing the channel name vs allocating the TG per usage to help with easy ID.

>TGs are assigned as contacts for the whole radio
As pointed out already this isn't a limitation specific to your MD380 - all DMR radios are like this.

One further partial solution would be to give each individual contact a specific name (ie assign each radio ID a unique name). I'd guess that each of the groups you list have a specific TG, and that each radio used in that group takes on a logical number within the TG (eg say PORTERS was TG100, it might be PORTER1 is ID 101, PORTER2 is 102. If SECURITY was TG 400, SECUIRTY1 might be ID 401 etc).

Note this still doesn't solve the problem where you have the same radio ID on several TG's (I'll bet every pretty much radio setup has a Radio ID = 1 in use) but it might give you a solution where the subset of those Radio IDs are unique to the Hospital setup you are listening to. It also gives you the big job of having to program a lot of radio IDs into your contact list.

>I wonder if the DV-1 has a better method?
Think you'll find the DV1 currently has a lot LESS features than you have at the minute with your MD380.
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

zippy wrote:I guess the 380 wasn't designed for earwiggers? it is a two way radio after all.
Well obviously not designed for it as such, but with some fettling:

http://hackaday.com/2016/01/19/shmoocon ... -firmware/

After you...