TYT MD 380 and DMR!

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

TYT MD 380 and DMR!

Post by welshevo »

ok so got my hands on one of these beauties! and have programmed the DMR stuff ive gathered from DSD+ etc but i can see activity in DSD but the radio doesnt seem to know whats going on? any advice? ive programmed TG id? CC, and Slots and freq but nothing... anyone?
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
jhampton2000

Re: TYT MD 380 and DMR!

Post by jhampton2000 »

The DMR systems you are trying to monitor may be using RAS. I think DSD+ 1.074 now shows if RAS is in use.

If you are still unsure, I'd suggest you capture and post a link to some raw capture of the DMR system using DSD+ and do the same for a capture of some traffic using your MD380 set up in the same configuration you are trying to use (but please don't transmit on a unlicensed frequency in doing so)
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

hey dude finally managed to get the DMR going!! i was missing the vital step out in the CPS... assign a digital contact!! haha oh and i had the wrong Freqs as the PPM in my SDR was wayyyyy out! but all running smoothly and WOW this DMR handie is absolutely mind blowing! puts my moto and Sepura to shame!!
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

Thanks to Welshevo for all the help with my new MD-380's :)

Got my local shopwatch up and running - crystal clear audio from the MD-380's. I'm impressed with the quality of these radios and they seem extremely well built.

Am going to program the 446 DMR channels next. We should start a TM1 446 DMR user group for experimental purposes :)

For those who don't know..

Digital DMR Tier I uses eight digital voice channels separated by 12.5 kHz from each other with 4-Level FSK modulation at 3.6 kbit/s.[5]

DMR Tier I Channel

Frequency (MHz)

1 446.10625
2 446.11875
3 446.13125
4 446.14375
5 446.15625
6 446.16875
7 446.18125
8 446.19375

Anyone using these so far?
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

No problemo! and this may sound stupid but whats the TG Id's for dmr 446? or am i being bland! hahah
Transmission1
Admin
Admin

Post by Transmission1 »

Ah, well that's the whole point of this thread I guess... we would have to agree on using one that we all program into our radios otherwise we won't hear each other as there's thousands of combinations you could use. I guess you could think of it a bit like CTCSS or DCS for digital.. those who DX on analogue 446 generally use channel 8, CTCSS tone 8. So we would have to agree something memorable that we can program. For example TG ID: 777 or 888 for TM1 users... maybe?!

The difficulty with DMR is that there isn't a "receive all" code you can program so we all need to use the same talk group.

Ps moved this thread out of Wales so more people will see it in this section - TM1
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

ahhh very good point! well im definatley up for getting involved in this idea... and im sure there is a generic "all call" or am i getting my tetra all backwards! hmm ill double check on this! but i also know that Bigbloke would be up for testing PMR DMR ... hes local to me! so im guessing think of a TGID and program our comms and see what happens? shame i couldnt install a DMR repeater for this kind of thing but im sure ofcom wouldnt be too please? ha
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

ok i just did a quick look and im not going crazy dmr is capable of tgid 16777215 thats an all call ID so that should RCV all traffic on that freq? any one care to assist?
Transmission1
Admin
Admin

Post by Transmission1 »

I'm not sure if it works like that. Would have to try later when I'm not at work - I think I had a go at this when trying to receive shopwatch and nothing came through but it's worth another look at if someone can try before I get chance.
Transmission1
Admin
Admin

Post by Transmission1 »

Just found this post on Radio Reference: http://forums.radioreference.com/digita ... oring.html
It might be worth a read on the "all call" function. It looks like it won't let you listen to all traffic so we'll need to determine a standard talkgroup - and a colour code.
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Yep spot on Transmission1.... so lets get a TGID and CC and get cracking! :D an Official TM1 DMR radio group!
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

ok. so keeping with delboys analogue 08:08 roots , how about:

DMR channel = 8 = 446.19375
TG = 8
CC = 8

Slot = either for simplex makes no odds = but to avoid confusion lets program it as SLOT 1 for TM1 ?

Now we should coordinate individual unit IDs ? e.g. 163TM446 could be 1630446 ? but thats a step too far for me
as its one unit ID per terminal!

I wont be using my current DMR sets on 446 as they're not TIER1 spec compliant power wise, (I have ham / professional considerations)
but i have a legit one due very shortly so can be on there from then.

Regards

BB
AshtonMobileScanner
Call Sign: 26TM931

Post by AshtonMobileScanner »

TDMA DMR is Tier 2 im sure it is. If TM1 starts issuing DMR ID numbers for DMR446 use what happens to the hams who have got there own 235 ID number. We would then have to change there id number to use the DMR 446 for TM1

Motorola UHF DP3600,
Golden One 1907,
Baofeng UV5RA+,
Diamond RH771 Antenna,
UHF Stubby Antenna,
Diamond X-30 Antenna,
MASS SPS 250 MK2.

(Monitor All Channels)
CALLSIGN: 26 TM 931 / 26 CT 931
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

The current Hytera DMR tier 1 radios which are, I believe, the only proper ones so far (or at least the only ones that have been marketed) use TG 1, colour code 1 by default.
I would suggest that we use TG1, colour code 1, on channel 8, as this would allow us to hear the most users as well as being heard by the most users. This is what I currently use to call on.
I have heard some builders in London using the DMR446 channels, with the same settings I've given above.
I believe it's best to use programming that allows us to hear the most users so that we have a greater chance of hearing anyone else on the channel, and therefore being able to avoid them (if they are commercial users) or talk to them, if they are hobbyists.
The all call doesn't let you receive all traffic. There is no talkgroup that allows you to do that, unlike on P25. The all call is just a call that will be received by all radios, no matter which group/s they have programmed in. (However, it does not make the radio ignore the colour code, so you still have to use the same colour code as the person you want to talk to)

So to summarise, my proposal is to use colour code 1, group 1 on channel 8, as the standard way of communicating as these are the default settings for most users and would allow the greatest number of people to talk without having to reprogram their radios.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

If the aim here is to pick a CC and TG just for TM1 members then CC8 TG8 seems appropriate given it's analogue roots.
If the aim is to try and establish a standard CC and TG for contacting any station then something more obvious might be better, CC1 TG1 seems the obvious choice. I had a quick google to see if any standard for DMR simplex has already been established on the ham bands. CC1 seems to be universally used, talk group seems less clear with some people using TG1 but others using TG9.