TYT MD 380 and DMR!

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Re: TYT MD 380 and DMR!

Post by bigbloke »

AshtonMobileScanner wrote: If TM1 starts issuing DMR ID numbers for DMR446 use what happens to the hams who have got there own 235 ID number. We would then have to change there id number to use the DMR 446 for TM1
nothing! nothing at all - it wouldnt make a jot of difference what the ID is set to on simplex DMR. I accidentally blew two radios with the same ID and they still communicated I just thought that in terms of missed calls when I am in the shack it might be useful to see who called. That said - I dont think I would choose to use my MARC ID on 446 as it becomes instantly traceable and suggests to the casual DSD'er and Ofcom alike, that your not using type approved equipment on 446.

I have a Ham DMR set that stays Ham and professional DMR sets that stay on my licenced resources , so faffing around changing IDs would be
a non starter for me as I said, i'll just wait for the tier 1 hardware to arrive!

Regards

BB
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

radiosification wrote:The current Hytera DMR tier 1 radios which are, I believe, the only proper ones so far (or at least the only ones that have been marketed) use TG 1, colour code 1 by default.
I would suggest that we use TG1, colour code 1, on channel 8, as this would allow us to hear the most users as well as being heard by the most users. This is what I currently use to call on.
I must observe that as analogue gets older and dmr gets cheaper/busier then using TG1/CC1 will be like using 1:00 on 446 . full of kids playing cops,swearing builders & banksmen plus motor cycle training schools. And in all honesty, thats a constant noise source I can do without in the house / car. I don't sit by the radio all the time (spend too little time at home as it is!) So when I hear a call I want to know its a fellow hobbyist not "have-you-got-those-in-a-size-five-please-kimberly?"

Agree though that Its better to standardise on a TG /CC across all 8 channels and have one dedicated channel for calling so we can all just QSY frequency only when the calling channel is busy (e.g. CT "on air" days)

With respect to your last point:
I have heard some builders in London using the DMR446 channels, with the same settings I've given above.

To my mind, thats all the more reason to choose something else ?

regards

BB
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

I see your point there bigbloke. In some ways I agree with you, but let me explain why I suggested using TG1 CC1. If you were on analog, and you set a ctcss to use, and then someone else started transmitting on the channel, you wouldn't hear them but your range would be massively reduced if you tried to receive someone else while the other users are talking. (Or the squelch just won't open)
In that case, it would be better to just switch to another channel, which both people should be able to easily do if they have the same colour code and TG set for each channel. But they won't switch to another channel if they don't know another user is talking on that one.

On the other hand, I understand that you wouldn't want the radio going off all the time with unwanted traffic when listening on the calling channel. Maybe using the same talkgroup as hams for local communications, and still sticking to colour code 1 would be best for the calling channel, but then still having all other channels programmed with CC1 TG1, so that users can still change to another channel and be guaranteed to have the same settings to be able to talk to each other.

What are people's thoughts on this?
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

I was going to suggest CC 8 and Talkgroup 8 for the standard channels (keeping with the CTCSS theme for PMR DX'ers). I don't think there are that many people using DMR on 446 at the moment to worry about the radio going off all the time. However I see both points for using CC1 and Talkgroup 1 as a lot of radios default to these settings.

Having had a quick google It would appear that most ham operators are using Talkgroup 9 for Simplex in the UK.

Hmm.. not sure what to program now! Would be great to get a "standard" for DMR 446 enthusiasts established. There seems to be some tropo hanging over the East Coast of England this morning so maybe some DX potential for us DMR users! I noticed freeview breaking up badly earlier today which usually indicates lift conditions in the UHF range.
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

On amateur, they also try to use cc1 as much as possible because it's just easier for everyone to use the default. Only a few repeaters which share channels use a different colour code
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

In my opinion it would be easier to keep using colour code 1, as they do in the amateur world, and maybe using either talk group 9, to be the same as amateur, or talk group 1, to hear the most stuff. As its meant to be receiving calls only I would guess TG 9 would be better so that we can leave the radio on, and still receive calls without having to hear all the commercial users with default settings, but then again, it could mean missing some calls from newer users who don't know how to program the radio and are just messing about with it on default settings.
I'm not too sure about the TG choice but I'm really keen that we should stick to using colour code 1.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Anyone know what sort of range you would get on simplex dpmr446 with this radio? Seems quite interesting and I might purchase one as an alternative to my RTL SDR to receive DMR.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Excalibur wrote:Anyone know what sort of range you would get on simplex dpmr446 with this radio? Seems quite interesting and I might purchase one as an alternative to my RTL SDR to receive DMR.
You have 1057 posts on a radio forum. You should know by now that asking what the range of a radio is, is like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

And this radio doesn't do dPMR446, which is a different mode that is only 6.25KHz wide and does not use TDMA.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

radiosification wrote:
Excalibur wrote:Anyone know what sort of range you would get on simplex dpmr446 with this radio? Seems quite interesting and I might purchase one as an alternative to my RTL SDR to receive DMR.
You have 1057 posts on a radio forum. You should know by now that asking what the range of a radio is, is like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

And this radio doesn't do dPMR446, which is a different mode that is only 6.25KHz wide and does not use TDMA.
Don't see why you have to be so hostile towards me? :/

Okay I will be more specific. In a suburban environment with the inbuilt antenna, how much range would you probably get from this radio? I know about analoge radios ranges but this will be my first time with a digital radio system, I know that the range can differ....

And people were talking about earlier using these radios on dpmr446 even thinking of a channel..... I know its a different mode than not TDMA but it doesn't mean we cant use that frequency, its much better than using some random frequency that isn't allocated...
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Excalibur wrote:And people were talking about earlier using these radios on dpmr446 even thinking of a channel..... I know its a different mode than not TDMA but it doesn't mean we cant use that frequency
They use different frequencies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

People were talking about using DMR channel 8 which is 446.19375, dPMR channel 8 is 446.146875

The reason they're different is that DMR is 12.5kHz wide whereas dPMR is 6.25kHz wide, so the same spectrum is divided into 8 DMR channels but 16 dPMR channels.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Hi guys just wondering where did you guys purchase these radios as I found a couple of them on Ebay however they are from Hong-Kong and I'm just concerned thats all. Anyone know who is a trusted seller of this or has had good experience?
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

BK wrote:
Excalibur wrote:And people were talking about earlier using these radios on dpmr446 even thinking of a channel..... I know its a different mode than not TDMA but it doesn't mean we cant use that frequency
They use different frequencies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

People were talking about using DMR channel 8 which is 446.19375, dPMR channel 8 is 446.146875

The reason they're different is that DMR is 12.5kHz wide whereas dPMR is 6.25kHz wide, so the same spectrum is divided into 8 DMR channels but 16 dPMR channels.

Thanks
guetteur
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 14FRS001

Post by guetteur »

welshevo wrote:No problemo! and this may sound stupid but whats the TG Id's for dmr 446? or am i being bland! hahah
Hello.
TG for simplex communication is TG99 by hamradio convention. You can program all TG you want but conventional TG is this one.
Bye. Dominique.
14 FRS 001 / Dominique
ID DMR : 10140001
Want a QRZ ? Join us freely : http://groupe-frs.hamstation.eu/index_english.htm
Informations about DMR in 446 MHz : http://dmr446.hamstation.eu/index_en.htm
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Excalibur wrote:Hi guys just wondering where did you guys purchase these radios as I found a couple of them on Ebay however they are from Hong-Kong and I'm just concerned thats all. Anyone know who is a trusted seller of this or has had good experience?
The cheapest way to get these is to order from China or Hong kong. At the moment I think radiobanker is the cheapest. I've bought from them before and they were good. I've even sent a radio back to be repaired to them, which they did, albeit quite slowly.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Excalibur wrote:Hi guys just wondering where did you guys purchase these radios as I found a couple of them on Ebay however they are from Hong-Kong and I'm just concerned thats all. Anyone know who is a trusted seller of this or has had good experience?
There is a place in Keighley, West Yorks selling em but with a programming cable & p+p they are just about double the overall price what you can get one from HK for....
On a personal level i have tried dealing with the said emporium in Keighley to purchase a new front panel/case for a damaged DP3600.... I gave up in the end tbh... Took days to get a half baked reply out of em...
Never had a prob buying radios from HK though..