QYT D68 - 32 channel UHF DMR handie

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Re: QYT D68 - 32 channel UHF DMR handie

Post by bigbloke »

Actually no....I dont think you would.

Im 99.8% certain that the QYT radios do not playback unencrypted audio when set with privacy active on a channel.

Therefore no encryption key, no parroting!

Certainly you configure a channel in memory with an encryption key from the list of 15 keys setup elsewhere in the
software. So if you wanted to mix clear and crypto comms on a common frequency you would need two memory channels
therefore that makes perfect sense.

And I'm happy with that, for what I use the parrot for.

I cant check it until later as I dont have them in work today.

The 1m requirement was to stop RF pulses getting back into the output of the repeated audio when the parrot keys the radio.

That appears to be a limitation of the parrot hardware.

Curious to why you assumed I was using Motorola kit in a thread specifically about QYT D68 radios though ? :D

Regards

BB
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

I don't really know why I thought you were using Motorola kit. I probably was thinking about my own stuff and imagining how I would set it up, and then just assumed you would have done it similarly, if you get what I mean. I didn't really think that carefully about it.
I assumed other manufacturers radios would allow unencrypted audio through too, as DMR is a standard I thought that kind of thing would be the same on everything, but maybe not.
Anyway thanks for the info on the parrot repeater.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

DMR / trbo supports 2 types of privacy

BASIC = keys from 0000 to ffff
ENHANCED = keys are AES256

most if not all of the cheap chinese dmr sets support basic,
the difference I believe is that in moto basic you enter the
key in decimal and in the chinese sets its hex

Regards

BB
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

As far as I can remember, in TRBO, basic keys are in decimal as you say, but then there is enhanced privacy which is Motorola proprietary (and not very good since it degrades the audio quality and is non standard) and then there is AES256 which you have to buy from a dealer if you want to use that. Enhanced is I think 40 bit or something around that
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Yeah, I think Motorola calls the DMR standard AES256 encryption "advanced" privacy, as opposed to their own proprietary "enhanced" privacy which uses 40-bit ARC4. "Basic" privacy uses 16-bit keys and a non-cryptographic algorithm (and actually it only uses a selected subset of keys so effectively it's only 8-bit).
spynappels
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2I0SEH

Post by spynappels »

Hi Bigbloke,

I have a couple of questions for you on these radios.

1. How do you select which zone you want to use? Is it one of the extra buttons on the side?

2. What software do you use to programme them? Is it proprietary to these radios, or is it something more like Chirp? Is it available to download to take a look at? Is it Windows only?

Ok, a few more than a couple, but I have an idea in mind for these which depends on the answers.

Thanks for bringing these to our attention.

Stefan
spynappels
Regular
Regular

Post by spynappels »

One other question if I may....

Does this use the same programming cable as any radio using Kenwood pinout, like the Wouxun KG-UVD1P and Baofeng 888s, or is it a different cable?

Regards,
Stefan
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

as far as I know Stefan its a specific cable to the radio - USB only . the driver gets installed when you install the CPS . but the PC only detects the USB when the radio is attached and switched on, suggesting the USB host is inside the radio itself

Regards

BB
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

spynappels wrote: 1. How do you select which zone you want to use? Is it one of the extra buttons on the side?
Either of the two side buttons can be assigned to the zone switch function. each button has a short press action
and a long press action. There is a "Bip Bip" noise to illustrate the second function is activated. the length of press is
configured in the CPS software (0000 to 7000 mS from memory).

When zone is switched the "voice announcement" announces the new memory channel, e.g. "ONE!" becomes "SEVENTEEN!"

One thing of note is that if the short function is set to "scan" and you try to activate the second function it will not work.
you need to manually stop the scan by activating the short press before trying to activate the long press function.

On the subject of scanning - an individual scan list can contain up to 31 channels , not 32 !
spynappels wrote: 2. What software do you use to programme them? Is it proprietary to these radios, or is it something more like Chirp? Is it available to download to take a look at? Is it Windows only?
The software is available to download from a number of places including 409shop.com (D68 CPS)

It is remarkably like the software for the CS-700 / MD380!

And yes as far as I know windows only . I haven't tested under wine / crossover yet

Regards

BB
spynappels
Regular
Regular

Post by spynappels »

Thanks for the answers BB, very helpful.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for one of these to play with or the MD-380, and TBH I'm not sure, the keypad and screen might be useful, but then again they might not. Can't afford both at the moment. Decisions, decisions....
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

link to the cps. the domain made me smile !!

http://www.yaesu.hk/pic/download/QYT-D6 ... 0v1.24.zip
spynappels
Regular
Regular

Post by spynappels »

Awesome, thanks BB.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

One thing to bear in mind on the MD-380 is that when you look at the front panel programming options, these (presently)
are only suitable for analogue channels as you cannot modify the digital contact associated with a specific digital memory location
without the CPS.

regards

BB
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

I went to buy two more of these and 4 spare batteries

believe it or not 409 shop are the only seller and sell no spare batteries

so I will not be buying any more until such time as they do.

regards

BB

incredulous that there are no spare batteries !!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

bigbloke wrote:One thing to bear in mind on the MD-380 is that when you look at the front panel programming options, these (presently)
are only suitable for analogue channels as you cannot modify the digital contact associated with a specific digital memory location
without the CPS.

regards

BB
Not sure if the firmware has changed dramatically since June last year, but you can indeed reprogram most digital options from the front panel on the MD-380 now, the catch-22 is that you need a programming cable and software to enable the front screen programming option.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition