4 channel Tait radio to be made into a 100 channel radio

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

4 channel Tait radio to be made into a 100 channel radio

Post by StormShadow »

Hi there I have a 4 channel Tait T2000 radio witch is conventional and is currently on 2 Meters.
I also have a trunked Tait T2040 radio witch is useless for what I would like to use it for.

So I'm wondering if could remove the face of the trunked Tait radio and change it over to the 4 channel Tait radio to make it a 100 channel radio for 2 meters?

Would this work?

Thanks
NiCdeth

Re: 4 channel Tait radio to be made into a 100 channel radio

Post by NiCdeth »

It depends. They need to be the same board versions, and just changing the face will likely just confuse it. You can swap the logic boards (the top one) in T2000 radios to change bands but the logic board also defines what the radio does, so putting your 4ch logic board into the 100 channel trunk rig would just give you another 4ch radio, but on whatever band the trunk radio is.
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

its not just about the channels its about the frequencies too.
pmr446 king.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

StormShadow wrote:Hi there I have a 4 channel Tait T2000 radio witch is conventional and is currently on 2 Meters.
I also have a trunked Tait T2040 radio witch is useless for what I would like to use it for.

So I'm wondering if could remove the face of the trunked Tait radio and change it over to the 4 channel Tait radio to make it a 100 channel radio for 2 meters?

Would this work?

Thanks

You can program the tait 2040 to have 10 conventional channels however I don't know if you would find this useful.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Having 10 conventional channels will certainly be useful, however I did try that before but I was unable to program any channels into the radio with the T2040 programming software. The software wouldn't let me change much, it wouldn't let me add channels or anything.

If I can get 10 channels programmed then that be great.

How do you program the 10 conventional channels into this radio?

Cheers
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

StormShadow wrote:Having 10 conventional channels will certainly be useful, however I did try that before but I was unable to program any channels into the radio with the T2040 programming software. The software wouldn't let me change much, it wouldn't let me add channels or anything.

If I can get 10 channels programmed then that be great.

How do you program the 10 conventional channels into this radio?

Cheers

Hello sorry for the late reply I should check this part of the forum more often. First you need to hold down any button when turning the radio on to see its version. If it says ver 1.02 you are in luck. You can program it via the software that works for xp/7 if its another version I think you need the dos version to program it.

You can use a programming cable avalibel from ebay that has the USB one and you plug it into the USB cable that is listed as either 1 or 2 on your computer (other ones dont work). Then you load up the software trunked appllication select the t2040. Then you can read from radio however for some reason initally mine wasnt reading so I just wrote blank data to the radio. Then DONT mess with the trunked stuff just leave it blank but you go to "conv channels" selection and you program in 10 frequencies of your choice remember to set the access to them correctly at "access conv channels" You then write to radio and you can select ur channels by typing 101 then the # key for channel 1 or 102# for channel 2 up to 110 for channel 10.

Hope this helps.

Okay you need the tait "trunked application" software for the t2000 series.
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by phillmobile »

what model / band is the trunked radio cause i will swap it for a conventional one.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

phillmobile wrote:what model / band is the trunked radio cause i will swap it for a conventional one.
Thats too bad I would have gladly done that swap as I really needed another conventional UHF radio for a 70cm's project. I sold the trunked radio now so I no longer have it, however I do have another trunked Tait 2000 but its VHF and only has 4 channels witch is 174 MHz to 225 MHz so its useless to me... I dunno whether you'd be interested in that one?