Leixen VV808 2m Mobile Transceiver

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
HotPot80
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0WAB

Leixen VV808 2m Mobile Transceiver

Post by HotPot80 »

I bought a Leixen VV808 2m Mobile Transceiver at the at the National Hamfest in Newark (UK) last September but I'm afraid I have not been able to drive it since and it has just sat on a shelf in my shack. I have also downloaded the software for it and bought the relevant cables but I still cannot get it to work. The manual, which is presumably a translation from Chinese, is very poorly written and not at all clear. I should point out that I come from the pre computer era when one button did only one function!

I bought a Baofeng uv-5r about 18 months ago which seems to work on a similar principle to the Leixen but I got that radio to work fine because someone had produced a sample program to upload to the radio. I wonder if anyone has done something similar for the Leixen?

I only bought the radio because of its small dimensions but I desperately need some help to get it up and running. Any Leixen experts out there willing to assist?

Alasdair (M0WAB).
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Leixen VV808 2m Mobile Transceiver

Post by dcwuk »

Is this the manual you have?
http://static2.rigreference.com/manuals ... manual.pdf
regards
dcw
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
HotPot80
Regular
Regular

Post by HotPot80 »

Essentially, yes. I am using the hard copy that came with the radio but it's the same as that at <http://static2.rigreference.com/manuals ... manual.pdf>. Unfortunately, I cannot understand it.

I should really like to program up my radio using my PC and the available program but what I need is a partially completed one so that I can see what items go where.

It sets out a list of channels from 01 to 199 which is fair enough. Along the top it says "RX Freq; QT/DQT Dec; TX Freq; QT/DQT Enc;TX Power; Band Width; Scan Add; BLCK; Tail Cut; APRO; VOX; PTT ID; DTMF; CH Alias; Alias Open; Reverse; Talk Around; Custom QT/DQT.

I haven't a clue what 99% of these abbreviations stand for and in order to fill out the table, I need some help.
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

Try these...
Rx Freq: = receive frequency (pretty obvious I know :))
QT/DQT Dec: = Tone Squelch Decode (receive CTCSS (sub tone) or DCS (digital tone)) needs to be either off or same as TX to receive
TX Freq: = Usually same as RX Freq but needs to be different for repeaters (another obvious one)
QT/DQT Enc: = Tone Squelch Encode (transmit CTCSS/DCS for repeaters and 'private' comms)
TX Power: = Transmit output high/low power
BandWidth: = Receive bandwidth and TX audio (modulation) - Wide is louder, Narrow is quieter
Scan Add: = On is +scan (when scanning), Off is scan skip i.e. misses it out on scan
BLCK: = Won't key transmit when receiving a signal (stops idiots talking over each other or when channel occupied by other users)
Tail Cut: = Same as STE, when 'on' stops squelch crash by TXing for fraction of second after unkeying, only useful if using CTCSS/DCS tones
APRO: = Auto power off (I think) radio will switch itself off after xx minutes of no use or no key presses
VOX: = Voice Operated Xmit (TX), numbers are sensitivty settings for auto transmit (usually off or 0), TX's with voice rather than PTT
PTTID: = Transmit Identification for radio like caller ID on phones
DTMF: = Sends tone codes like phone key pad for echolink and open repeater over IP (internet) type stuff
CH Alias: = Names of channels instead of numbers like GB3xx or PMR-1 etc. (just a guess)
Alias Open: = Dunno but probably related to above
Reverse: = Repeater reverse frequency i.e. TX on output and RX on input freq's (usually easier to set seperate channel rather than go thru' menu though)
Talk Around: = Dunno (try it see what it does)
Custom QT/DQT: = Make your own tone codes up for non standard 'privacy' CTCSS/DCS Note: 'Privacy' means you won't hear others, they'll still hear you if they have no tone code set.

Hope that helps.
Merry Christmas :D
The perfect face for radio.
G0TVJ
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G0TVJ

Post by G0TVJ »

Just to add to the above, 'talk-around' usually refers to simplex operation on a repeater output channel, so it provides a simplex channel which is compatible with a repeater channel, as long as you're within direct range of the other station and using the same CTCSS/DCS tone as the repeater output.
Neil
SKCC #9547
FISTS #15918

JO01bu
TL42
HotPot80
Regular
Regular

Post by HotPot80 »

Thanks very much for your help, folks. I shall now try to program up this radio to see how well it goes.
kalmac
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: m6krm

Post by kalmac »

hi have you had any luck? you may guess i just bought one am just looking into finding a data lead for it.
:D