MotoTrbo codeplug versions and questions

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

MotoTrbo codeplug versions and questions

Post by wheelbarrow »

Hi, I'm fairly new to Mototrbo programming, can do the basics ok and am familiar with other Moto CPS such as their MPT CPS and Tetra Plus CPS and I have a hyperthetical question:

Scenario: customer has DP3600 bought 3 years ago that I supplied, programmed and kept a codeplug for reference. He wants to buy some more and have them programmed the same. So as far as I can see the only way is to get one of his old radios (or one of same firmware), upgrade the firmware to the current version, read the radio to get the upgraded codeplug which his new DP3600's would accept. Hope that makes sense?

Now what if you can't get access to his old radios (or I don't have my own same version firmware DP3600) to do the upgrade, is there any other way to upgrade the codeplug that I have from the original programming?

I know that with MPT CPS and Tetra Plus CPS I can upgrade the codeplug in the CPS but I can't seem to find this in MotoTrbo?

Sorry for the long winded post, from this Trbo noob :D
benw18

Re: MotoTrbo codeplug versions and questions

Post by benw18 »

No, you can only upgrade via the CPS (assuming you have access to MOL to download the latest CPS & FW).

What version of CPS and Firmware are you using? Even the newest CPS can read the oldest firmware versions.

If you have an original codeplug saved just use that as a reference and create a new one (for the new radios) and use the 'clone' feature when programming. Just make sure you change I.D's and other parameters on a per radio basis.

If the firmware is 3 years old on the original radio it needs updating as there have been some huge changes since then.
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

Hi, yes I have MOL access. I may not have explained very clearly however!
Yes I have latest CPS,: if I read a 3 year old radio (or open the codeplug saved from that 3 year old radio), then try to clone into a new firmware version of the radio it won't let me do it.

When you say "If you have an original codeplug saved just use that as a reference and create a new one" do you mean I'd create a new codeplug from scratch, ie manually copy each field from the old codeplug into my new codeplug? or can the CPS 'upgrade' old codeplugs like it would upgrade an 'old' radio?

Thanks for your assistance so far!
benw18

Post by benw18 »

What version of the CPS are you currently using?

I would advise getting all of the 'old' radios together and updating the Firmware on them. This way you can then just clone each of the new radios as you go.

I'm guessing you are an authorised dealer if you are one of the few that have MOL access?
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

It's either Version 8.6 Build 453 or the previous release from a couple months back (can't remember as I'm not at work to check at the mo)

Yes I work for an authorised Moto dealer although I'm personally only just getting up to speed on MotoTrbo.

I understand that it's best to update older radios but it seems a thankless task with the rate Moto release new CPS every couple months so wondered about how you can upgrade a codeplug withour having to upgrade an older version radio each and every time.
benw18

Post by benw18 »

You can mix old and new firmware versions, however as you probably know its not a good idea. Features, systems and god knows what else have been changed on a huge scale since 3 years ago.

It is a thankless task, but the 3000 series is to be discontinued later this year. So it probably is worth updating to the latest version as it will be one of the last before the cancellation.

I don't go out and update firmware on systems every time there is a new release- generally once, maybe twice a year during maintenance and repairs. When we update large systems (500+ radios) it can take a couple of days and good organisation to update radios.
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

benw18 wrote:You can mix old and new firmware versions, however as you probably know its not a good idea. Features, systems and god knows what else have been changed on a huge scale since 3 years ago.

It is a thankless task, but the 3000 series is to be discontinued later this year. So it probably is worth updating to the latest version as it will be one of the last before the cancellation.

I don't go out and update firmware on systems every time there is a new release- generally once, maybe twice a year during maintenance and repairs. When we update large systems (500+ radios) it can take a couple of days and good organisation to update radios.
Yes good point about the 3000 being discontinued, might as well try to get them all up to date....there's nothign quite like a fleet reprogramming session is there! usually at 2am :D
ZACUKABREXIT
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: M3gkx

Post by ZACUKABREXIT »

Hi all, I’m in need of a clean code plug for a pair of DP3401 UHF, I had a look in the sample plugs that are in the CpS however it’s a VHF plug, any help would be greatly appreciated, FYI I purchased 2 DP3401 off the BaY but both have code plug passwords, I don’t think the wire shark app can decode the passwords anymore hence the need for a clean plug,

Thanks in advance.

Zac.
moj

Post by moj »

just curious why your name is zac and your callsign say's that your name is jame's ??
G0XBJ
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: G0XBJ

Post by G0XBJ »

Hi has anyone got sample code plug for the UHF 4400, i have CPS 11.5 AND 16

Thanks
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by scottyboy »

I should have 1 but won’t be able to send it until tomorrow night.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
Motorola DP3600 UHF + VHF
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
g1fsh
New User
New User
Call Sign: G1FSH

Post by g1fsh »

Hi All.
I have a UHF DM3401 Type MMS534DE
Model MDM27QNC9LA2AN
Tanapa PMUE2339A
Version Number R01.05.00
Im looking for a codeplug if any one has one. The radio was bought on ebay and has a CP password. Any help at all would be great.

Also have a DM4400 with the same problem. Details for that one are as follows
Tyoe MBA504D
Model MDM28QNC9JA2AN
Tanapa PMUE3646A
Version R02.30.13
I have tried sample codeplugs but none of the model numbers match mine.
Cheers
Gary