Tetra. Is anyone else using it?

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
nokiaman2002
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E1GXT

Re: Tetra. Is anyone else using it?

Post by nokiaman2002 »

ROFLCOPTER!
udo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: op1v

Post by udo »

Hello Tron,

I'm just starting with Tetra. I got a Cleartone CM9000 unit from a friend last week. But it has issues. I'm a regular user and fan of other digital modes. So I wanted to try this.
I now have to get the unit working and convert it to our regular HAM frequencies.
But I'm seeking for three things:
A) a replacement LCD screen ( mine is damaged beyond readability)
B) the service-manual ( to set the unit to the HAM bands)
C) the programming software

So If anyone can help me out , it would be very appreciated indeed.
If I get this one running, I would like to get my feet wet in the Tetra arena. I know a hand-held for sale ,and I would like to use it to expand my linking capabilities.
Best regards, Udo.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

First of all, replacement screen I can help with. I have several spare CM9000 heads.

Also, if it's a Dolphin one, it's very doubtful it will ever be able to work DMO (Simplex).

If it's a proper (non Dolphin) one, then congratulations - let me know if you ever want to sell it! :P
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

Dont tetra have a really short range without relay or reapeter or am i wrong?
pmr446 king.
mr_h4ck3rm4n
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: MM6SGZ

Post by mr_h4ck3rm4n »

Handheld to handheld is like 446 radios... Possibly worse..
Most mobiles are low powered 3w as standard and also give poor range.
Older srm1000 simoco sets can be adjusted to run 15 to 20w and work well (20miles)
I use cleartone repeaters for extending range so it is usable with handheld radios ,this gives me around 20 usable miles for handhelds and slightly more for mobiles (the cm9000 can be adjusted to 20w without software)

Back to back dmo use with 2 handhelds is very poor.

Cheers

HF
Yaesu FTdx1200, Kenwood TS590,
Sailor T2130 & T2031MF/HF Systems
Ameritron 811, Yeasu FL2100
VHF/UHF
Icom IC-208H, Icom IC-2820
Jotron TR7550 VHF Air
Antenna
Comet GP9, Hustler 5-BTV, 3 ELE Yagi 10m/11m
Data Interface
Kantronics Pactor TNC , MJF 1275X

QRZ.COM
mr_h4ck3rm4n
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mr_h4ck3rm4n »

Oops double posted..

HF
VHF/UHF
Jotron TR7550 VHF Air
Antenna
Data Interface

QRZ.COM
TRON

Post by TRON »

"Handheld to handheld is like 446 radios... Possibly worse.."

Most tetra handheld terminals are rated for a max output of 1 Watt. How many terminals that have been bought and sold on Ebay have been correctly aligned across their full frequency coverage for 1 Watt output?
NONE.

I have Sepura handhelds. I have the tuning software. I don't have a handsfree car cradle (giving 50 Ohm BNC antenna access) so that I can test results.

How many of us have joined forces and shared resources to try something like this?
None.

We are all too busy fulfilling our own agenda's, and only come here when we want something from someone else.
udo
Regular
Regular

Post by udo »

Hello Yeti,

If the transceiver is fixed , I'm planning on testing the range. Also checking the Block error rate , and determining the sensitivity . In this manner , I can determine the effective range of this setup.
Any data will be posted when available.
So I'm very interested indeed for a CM9000 head. BTW its a Belgian version.
I have sended you a PM with my email details.
Cheers,
Udo.
udo
Regular
Regular

Post by udo »

Hello Tron , You maybe right if you say that everybody visits this site , when they
need something from another person.
But is this not exact what this forum is all about? I'm happy to help anyone if I can.
But I even did not get very lucky ,when I asked for info on the unit I'm trying to get back on air. And be honest , where else to ask?
I'm still looking for the service manual of the CM9000 Cleartone unit. So If any person feels the urge to help?
So , as I posted before , I do have the equipment to test BER and sensitivity, modulation, powercreation with harmonic content and intermodulation performance.
So If I can post some figures after repair, I will do gladly.
I think ,but I'm not sure , that I am the only person that is testing the tetra area in the vincinity.So it will be a lab setup first , before we can test onair.
Best regards,
udo.on4udo.
nokiaman2002
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E1GXT

Post by nokiaman2002 »

I have shared resources in the past with just about everybody including £900 worth of software for people but been greeted with a quick "in and out" visit to my ROIP server, only for people to disappear elsewhere. This is why people like myself get sick of spending our time helping people only to get "**** on". There are some good people out there (i assume) that want to use Tetra & other digital modes for ROIP use, but 2 years on now and it is just me and one other person on my server most days. People pop up and give a good speech about having "a good take off point" for tetra and "a friend in the police radio department who has 4-stacks to give away", then when they do get set up they disappear.

TETRA - IS ANYBODY USING IT?????????? NO, JUST ME AND YOU MATE
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

mr_h4ck3rm4n wrote:Handheld to handheld is like 446 radios... Possibly worse..
Most mobiles are low powered 3w as standard and also give poor range.
Older srm1000 simoco sets can be adjusted to run 15 to 20w and work well (20miles)
I use cleartone repeaters for extending range so it is usable with handheld radios ,this gives me around 20 usable miles for handhelds and slightly more for mobiles (the cm9000 can be adjusted to 20w without software)

Back to back dmo use with 2 handhelds is very poor.

Cheers
thanks
pmr446 king.
mikebravokilo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: MM0MBK

Post by mikebravokilo »

nokiaman2002 wrote:I have shared resources in the past with just about everybody including £900 worth of software for people but been greeted with a quick "in and out" visit to my ROIP server, only for people to disappear elsewhere. This is why people like myself get sick of spending our time helping people only to get "{Tom Tit} on". There are some good people out there (i assume) that want to use Tetra & other digital modes for ROIP use, but 2 years on now and it is just me and one other person on my server most days. People pop up and give a good speech about having "a good take off point" for tetra and "a friend in the police radio department who has 4-stacks to give away", then when they do get set up they disappear.

TETRA - IS ANYBODY USING IT?????????? NO, JUST ME AND YOU MATE
the only reason i am not using your server is mainly due to the fact it is so unstable, you go on about wanting people that are like minded to use your server then shut it down on a whim, repeatedly change passwords back and forth etc etc etc, you know what i mean...
i for one have too much money tied up in equipment to only have the use of it on roip when it suits you, that is the sole reason.

as far as i was concerned i hadn't done anything wrong but i see your post above as a personal attack as you have been quite specific in what you've written.

i spent alot of money on kit as you well know and all of a sudden your server is off the list. what did you expect us all to do? just sit and wait on you putting it back on?

you have my number if you want to discuss this further.............
PAPA THERMADYNE LIVES.........
pete_uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pete_uk »

What I would like to know is...

What's a safe* place to get second hand TETRA units?

*not off a police officer trying to break up a brawl...!

:mrgreen:
mr_h4ck3rm4n
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mr_h4ck3rm4n »

Good question.. i bought some cleartones from cleartone direct..

I am currently in angola working for around one week but i will be selling the following kit on my return to the uk...

3x Motorola MTH800s (c/w 2xRSM, 2x Klickfast Cases, RS-232 Cable, short and long antenna(s) , desk charger pods)
1x Motorola MTM800E (c/w fist mic, desk tray w/speaker and signalink usb cable)
2x Cleartone Cm9000 DMO REPEATERS 20W TX (c/w telephone handset ,2x fist mic, hands free interface for easy signalink connection, car din mounting kit)
1x Signalink USB for ROIP connection
(+1 srm1000 minus cables)
All in very good condition, clear firmware and the cm9000s have all the paperwork from cleartone , these are genuine 40dbm models that have been adjusted, not the usual 3w ones, both are currently running at 20w ,
I dont get the time to use this kit due to working out the uk (i will be in Iraq most of next year :( ) so i would sell all together for £1400 and give someone else the chance to own a cracking setup, you will NOT find a similar setup for this price. ..
All genuine programming cables and software included.
Any trials or testing around W/Scotland welcome
Currently programmed on 70cms

***Fixed price for the job lot!**

Cheers

...i will throw in a skymast 4 stack dipole array also
Last edited by mr_h4ck3rm4n on 20 Dec 2012, 05:45, edited 4 times in total.

HF
VHF/UHF
Jotron TR7550 VHF Air
Antenna
Data Interface

QRZ.COM
TRON

Post by TRON »

I buy all my kit from Ebay and people that I've met along the way.

Out of interest, I have put CONSIDERABLE work into my youtube channel, Facebook page, and website lately.
The youtube page is just a record of various projects and digital radio based experiments.
The Facebook page kind of relies on others taking part and posting to be successful.
The website is a mess! {bnghd} I have no idea what I'm doing so its a work in progress!

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/digitalradiohacker

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/digitalradiohacker

Website: https://sites.google.com/site/digitalradiohacker/home

I hope you guys will have a look around and see the side of me that spends less time whingeing and more time soldering!

Any thoughts, comments or ideas are VERY welcome, good or bad.