[Split...] Narrow/Wide Deviation

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

[Split...] Narrow/Wide Deviation

Post by Yeti »

MikeSE9 wrote:make that a FT8900
thought as much :P

Great rigs - just one real annoyance with them - you can't switch the right VFO to narrow deviation.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Re: Puxing or Intek ?

Post by Scott_93 »

Yeti wrote:

Great rigs - just one real annoyance with them - you can't switch the right VFO to narrow deviation.
So that means the right VFO can't be R&TTE but the left might !!!!

that is actually a serious note as the 8800 and 8900 both have a numpty mode too, I very much doubt they do, but who knows :)

Scott
MikeSE9
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSE9 »

You can change the deviation on the FT8900 in the Alignment mode A-4 DEV
http://www.ham.dmz.ro/yaesu/ft-8900r-alignment-mode.php
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

MikeSE9 wrote:You can change the deviation on the FT8900 in the Alignment mode A-4 DEV
http://www.ham.dmz.ro/yaesu/ft-8900r-alignment-mode.php
Not what I meant.

On the 8800, you can change the deviation from Narrow to Wide on either VFO in the menu - on the 8900, you can only change the left VFO.

Seems a bit of a step backwards for the next model up from the 8800.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

Scott_93 wrote:
Yeti wrote:

So that means the right VFO can't be R&TTE but the left might !!!!
RTTE, fine - but it means the right VFO doesn't fit the specs for VHF PMR use. Or some of the newer UHF licences.
MikeSE9
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSE9 »

If you turn the deviation down in the Alignment mode A-4 DEV when it set to wide.
Wide deviation could be set to ± 2.4kHz.
Then both right and left are left set in wide deviation all the time.
On 2 meter you should be using narrow and on 70cm is well.
Don’t know what it would do to 6 & 10 they mite not like it
ElusiveStranger
Regular
Regular

Post by ElusiveStranger »

that's what i love about forums ,people start on one subject and as time goes on you're suddenly on a magical mystery tour into the unknown. lol :lol:
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

yeah but it limits the audience because people may be ignoring a topic that doesn't appeal to them, totally oblivious to the fact that the discussion is actually about something else that they may be interested in.
Better to moderate it and split it out into a new thread

HNY 8)
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

MikeSE9 wrote:If you turn the deviation down in the Alignment mode A-4 DEV when it set to wide.
Wide deviation could be set to ± 2.4kHz.
Then both right and left are left set in wide deviation all the time.
On 2 meter you should be using narrow and on 70cm is well.
Don’t know what it would do to 6 & 10 they mite not like it
I DON'T WANT THEM SET ON WIDE!

I want to be able to switch the right one to narrow, as my local 2m repeater is narrow now.

70cms should DEFINATELY not be used on narrow, and the only narrow use on 2m is narrow deviation repeaters.

6 and 10 are narrow all the time.
MikeSE9
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSE9 »

Well our two local 70cm repeaters is on narrow deviation they are commercial repeaters, if you use it on wide you fine it distort the signal
And all the FM Simplex channels are narrow as wall or they are in the band plan
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

MikeSE9 wrote:all the FM Simplex channels are narrow as wall or they are in the band plan
Yes, the 2m FM simplex channels are narrow. There are channels set aside for internet gateways on 70cm that are narrow too.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

MikeSE9 wrote:Well our two local 70cm repeaters is on narrow deviation they are commercial repeaters, if you use it on wide you fine it distort the signal
And all the FM Simplex channels are narrow as wall or they are in the band plan
never heard of anything on 70cm using narrow deviation before.

And NOONE up here uses narrow deviation on 2m either, except on the repeaters/internet gateways.
StoatTB

Post by StoatTB »

MikeSE9 wrote:And all the FM Simplex channels are narrow as wall or they are in the band plan
http://www.rsgb.org/spectrumforum/bandp ... n_2009.htm

Click on the 70cm tab at the bottom on the webpage, 25 kHz bandwidth for FM simplex and repeater input/outputs - wide deviation is recommended (5 kHz). Narrow deviation (2½ kHz) is used on the newer 2 metre repeaters where there is a bandwidth requirement of 12½ kHz between the repeater channels, but wide deviation is still used on the simplex frequencies because the spacing is 25 kHz between the channels i.e. S20, S21, etc.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

buggerlugs wrote:
MikeSE9 wrote:And all the FM Simplex channels are narrow as wall or they are in the band plan

Click on the 70cm tab at the bottom on the webpage, 25 kHz bandwidth for FM simplex and repeater input/outputs - wide deviation is recommended (5 kHz). Narrow deviation (2½ kHz) is used on the newer 2 metre repeaters where there is a bandwidth requirement of 12½ kHz between the repeater channels, but wide deviation is still used on the simplex frequencies because the spacing is 25 kHz between the channels i.e. S20, S21, etc.
there are also 12.5kHz spaced channels on 2m, but in reality, only repeaters and internet gateways use them.
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Post by Scott_93 »

Yeti wrote:
buggerlugs wrote:

there are also 12.5kHz spaced channels on 2m, but in reality, only repeaters and internet gateways use them.
+1, I have only ever used it to access a local gateay, listen to a repeater and to have a simplex chat with a mate and we fancied doing something new, although most people still use 25Khz steps (as do I) and still call them "S20" (as do I).

Scottl