a possible tip for those of you without 1750 toneburst

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

a possible tip for those of you without 1750 toneburst

Post by bigbloke »

Hi All,

A tip from a yahoo radio group for those of you with radios that have 5 tone encode but no 1750 Hz tone burst
Hi possibly a good number of this group may know about getting a toneburst to open repeaters but I have come across some who don't so this may be useful.By using the digit 8 in the 5 tone selective call this gives a tone of 1747hz which is close enough to open repeaters.All you have to do is to program your radio to use sell call on repeater channels but you must have the facility to open the channel on press of the ptt or the send button because when a radio is set to use sell call the receiver is muted.You will need to set the tone time to 500ms.You will also need to check wich tone system your radio programmer has as different systems use different frequencies.The systems that you can use are CCIR or EEA.
Kudos to "Dave" for his original posting of this tip

hope it helps someone

regards

BB
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Re: a possible tip for those of you without 1750 toneburst

Post by bigpimp347 »

whats wrong with whistling up a repeater ??

been doing it for years..!!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

bigpimp347 wrote:whats wrong with whistling up a repeater ??
A friend of mine is absolutely pitch perfect first time most times with this, but some of us can't whistle (and before anyone asks, no its not true what they say).

Are there actually any repeaters that don't use CTCSS now anyway?
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

I have a 1750Hz tone recorded in my mobile phone - I just play that into the mike.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

I used to do what Yeti just said when i used the ye olde jingtong on 2m lol worked a treat
2E0XGA
Damo666
Banned
Banned

Post by Damo666 »

Yeti wrote:I have a 1750Hz tone recorded in my mobile phone - I just play that into the mike.
Please would you be so kind as to post a link to your 1750Hz toneburst or send it to me please? It'd be very much appreciated. I own a Puxing that lacks the feature you see. Cheers.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

bigpimp347 wrote:whats wrong with whistling up a repeater ??

been doing it for years..!!!
A perfect standby procedure, start low and end high :D
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

BK wrote: Are there actually any repeaters that don't use CTCSS now anyway?
If memory serves - GB3VA

they certainly moaned emough when I was running an MX290 on there with CTCSS enabled - to the point that one or two individuals were so damned rude I haven't returned

regards

BB
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

bigbloke wrote:If memory serves - GB3VA

they certainly moaned emough when I was running an MX290 on there with CTCSS enabled - to the point that one or two individuals were so damned rude I haven't returned
I find I have to go onto high ground to access a repeater, then when I do I often end up opening two repeaters on the same frequency. CTCSS is the best thing that ever happened to repeaters, they're being short-sighted not using it.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

BK wrote: I find I have to go onto high ground to access a repeater, then when I do I often end up opening two repeaters on the same frequency. CTCSS is the best thing that ever happened to repeaters, they're being short-sighted not using it.
Hmmm.....I only partially agree here.

I use in the main ex-PMR radios , but I travel a lot (average 45K / year) therefore I either have to program every single repeater in the country or keep modding the radio memories every time I go a new route.

CTCSS is a godsend for the weston repeater as its dual mode analogue / d-star and I have no desire to listen to d-star "buzz".

But when travelling, it is preferable to have a "common" access method like 1750 toneburst. I wish all repeaters supported both.

Also hereabouts I have 3 ('AZ / 'EX / 'DT) repeaters on a common frequency (RB0) with 2 different ctcss tones (EX / AZ are both 94.8 iirc?) and all at least 1/2 scale on the meter or better. At various times I travel in range of all 3 and end up tying up 2 memories for a single channel ! - worse if I only program the CTCSS ENCODE for a channel ! then I could be listening to 1 of 3 but only able to access 1 !! maddening :D

Furthermore I still have my beloved FT290 / 790 MK1 pair - practically excluded from modern repeaters these days (hence I use PMR sets)
and since I have the MUTEK board theres no room for even a small ctcss encoder.

every coin has three sides (head / tails / edge) I suppose ;-)

regards

BB
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

CTCSS doesn't always work right though - If I try to access one of the NI 70cms repeaters which shares a frequency with GB3KV in Glasgow, GB3KV opens even with the 110.9Hz tone (KV is meant to be 103.5Hz).
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
G0TVJ
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G0TVJ

Post by G0TVJ »

bigbloke wrote:
BK wrote: Are there actually any repeaters that don't use CTCSS now anyway?
If memory serves - GB3VA
GB3SA is another one - unless it's changed since September.

Neil
G0TVJ
Neil
SKCC #9547
FISTS #15918

JO01bu
TL42