Puxing 777 further Q's

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Puxing 777 further Q's

Post by BK »

Quinny1 wrote:Right.

Now worked out how to keep alpha tag names on the display
How did you do it? I programmed alpha tags in self program mode, but all it displays is CH-001, etc.
Quinny
Regular
Regular

Post by Quinny »

Once programmed in, you need the radio in memory mode, and once done, in the menu, you need number 14 (Name.) and set this to on.
Chairman,Wakefield and District Radio Society.
http://www.wdrs.org.uk
http://www.northerncrossrally.org
http://www.weight2goblankets.co.uk/

M3SSQ,2E0SSQ, Co-organiser of GB1TAN and GB1HI.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Quinny wrote:in the menu, you need number 14 (Name.) and set this to on.
Thanks Quinny, you're a star. Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that in the manual (not the paper one that came with the radio, the pdf file I downloaded) and thought "must remember that", but of course I didn't :roll:

I've got the alpha tags now, but when I put it into scan it reverts to CH-001, etc. Is there any way to get it to show alpha tags while scanning too?
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

Hi BK,

no - once the radio is scanning it just rolls around the channel numbers until the squelch opens - then it displays the alpha tag.

To be honest, displaying the tag during scanning would probably reduce an already slow channel scan rate to an absolute crawl :(

regards

BB
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

OK, thanks bigbloke.

One more question - what do people recommend for programming a receive-only channel? At the moment, for channels I want to monitor but can't transmit on, I'm setting the tx frequency inside the amateur band. That way, if the ptt accidentally gets pushed I'm not jamming a safety of life service. What happens if you try to set the tx frequency outside the range of what the radio can do, does this stop it transmitting altogether?
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

BK wrote:OK, thanks bigbloke.
One more question - what do people recommend for programming a receive-only channel?
Quite simply - program it via the software not the keypad

When you enter the RX frequency the corresponding TX frequency will automatically populate with the same frequency.

Highlight the TX frequency the press the delete key - then program the rest of the memory as usual.

when you write it to the radio and power cycle, any press of the PTT will result in a continuous tone via the radio speaker, identifying that no TX frequency is present.

All the chinese radios I have ever programmed support this.

Regards

BB
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

bigbloke wrote:Highlight the TX frequency the press the delete key
OK, I haven't got a programming cable yet, but I was having a play and it turns out you can set the tx frequency to ---.--- in self program mode, which has the same effect.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Now here's an oddity (and no mistake). It says in the manual;

Delete 1 store channel
In VFO Mode turn off power.
Hold down VFO/MR key and turn on the power.
"DEL?" and stored channel number will display
on LCD. Turn encoder or input keypad numbers
which need to be deleted, press ENTER until
"YES?" display, and press ENTER to delete the
channel.

Only problem is, holding down VFO/MR while turning on doesn't actually do anything! Its not a major issue as blanking the rx frequency in self program mode has the same effect and is actually an easier way of doing it, especially for deleting multiple channels, but I thought it was odd enough to be worth mentioning.