Problem programming Kenwood TK-3301

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Problem programming Kenwood TK-3301

Post by 310den »

I received this TK-3301 ProTalk with some other stuff and only some channels worked which may have been standard, I don't know.
I downloaded the KPG-121D V1.01 software and have the engineers serial number (posted in another old thread) and programmed in the 446 MHz channels that I wanted. I have the correct programming lead.
Now it won't transmit, just the LED flashing Red but it will receive on all the channels and when a signal is being received the LED flashes Green then Amber and alternates and when the signal has gone it goes back to flashing Red. The same happens if I load the standard channels that the software comes with.

Now the strange bit.... in the software when in Test mode and using the software button to transmit, it does, solid Red TX LED and received signal on another radio. No flashing Red LED on standby and a solid Green LED or receiving a signal. Come out of Test mode and it goes back to the above posted issue.

Any ideas what the issue could be as I am stumped at this point.

Thanks.
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Problem programming Kenwood TK-3301

Post by 310den »

paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Are you sure the frequencies are correct - this radio had the weird offset channels originally, so no reason they won't go back, as long as they're in the right format?
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

paulears wrote:Are you sure the frequencies are correct - this radio had the weird offset channels originally, so no reason they won't go back, as long as they're in the right format?
Yes just programming the standard 446 channels. They are in as it receives OK, just won't transmit and emits a continuous tone when the PTT is pressed.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

That only usually happens when you programme something the radio firmware can't do. you could post a few pics of the programming screens in case we spot something you haven't?
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Here are 3 screenshots attached.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Three more.
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
All seems well with programming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moj

Post by moj »

out of curiousity have you tried the none engineering mode cps , i've never had a problem programming protalks on the original cps etc
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Yes moj, had that first before the engineer mode.
moj

Post by moj »

hmmm ! strange im guessing it was working fine before programming the unit on rx and tx aswell ?
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

moj wrote:hmmm ! strange im guessing it was working fine before programming the unit on rx and tx aswell ?
Yes you are guessing correctly. It came with the standard channels that they come supplied with. I saved that configuration when read from the radio just in case I needed to load it back up the same and it will load it up again but with the same error. It will send and receive any data through the software.
If I program an empty channel it sounds a continuous tone on that empty channel with the LED alternating Red and Amber which I assume is correct as it is an empty channel.
Some error must have corrupted something so unless I can obtain a standard hex file to write to the Rom I doubt there is much else I can do except for use it as a receiver. :roll:
moj

Post by moj »

could you send me your a copy of your codeplug and I will send it to my radio and see if it does the same as yours if you want and if it does I,ll send you my codeplug that works ;)
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

moj wrote:could you send me your a copy of your codeplug and I will send it to my radio and see if it does the same as yours if you want and if it does I,ll send you my codeplug that works ;)
You mean the dat file? This is an analogue radio. I have tried 2 different dat files one being the standard that opens up with the KPG-121D software and the same thing happens.
moj

Post by moj »

this sounds weird in theory it should work with the sample dat file aslong as a frequency is entered !
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

moj wrote:this sounds weird in theory it should work with the sample dat file aslong as a frequency is entered !
Exactly.
A fault must of developed but it's annoying as it will transmit in test mode in the software. Will have to be just a receiver now then unless i find a way round this.