Boafeng UV-5R

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
tetramoo

Boafeng UV-5R

Post by tetramoo »

Hi there

Just purchased a Boafeng UV-5R on eBaY for very little money, I was just wondering what
they are like because for £20+quid they have a lot of decent features/functions. Also are they any good as a scanning receiver and obviously a TX/RX radio also.
On a final note would it be any good connected up to my X-50 externally mounted collinear antenna or is that just plain crazy.
Regards John.
Last edited by tetramoo on 23 Mar 2017, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
tetramoo

Re: Boafeng UV-5R

Post by tetramoo »

And can you say connect up to an X-50 2m/70cm external collinear antenna or is that just crazy.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

You can connect external antennas to them, and for the money they're very good value. The scan speed is a bit naff, so as a scanner with more than a handful of channels in them, you miss a lot. They're a bit prone to strong local signals swamping weak ones, but for the price?
tetramoo

Post by tetramoo »

Thanks for the info.... Much appreciated.
ClubbaUK
Regular
Regular

Post by ClubbaUK »

To connect an external antenna use a fly lead (patch lead) rather than a solid SMA adaptor, a solid adaptor is likely to snap.

I use one similar to this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50cm-RG58-Cab ... SwLEtYgK~D
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

The performance is not that great but you get what you pay for. For the price it's reasonable considering that it costs so little.
You can connect it to an external antenna but it is easily overloaded by strong signals.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

Considering buying one of these, do you reckon it would outperform a Binatone Terrain 750 (in hilly terrain)?
pmr446 king.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Crap on marine band...wasnt right sparkling on 2m either
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

pmr446man wrote:Considering buying one of these, do you reckon it would outperform a Binatone Terrain 750 (in hilly terrain)?
In theory yes, they've got about ten times the power output, but in practice they're still line of site and hills will stop the signal usually, especially UHF. They are cheap tho' so could be worth a try, we all need hobbies :D
The perfect face for radio.
tetramoo

Post by tetramoo »

Well haven't had chance to test the Boofung UV5R yet as regards range testing whether it be VHF/UHF. Only really used digital radio modes like MOTOTRBO and Tetra recently. Tetra DMO is **** in built up areas yet had 10+miles line of sight from a less than 1W handheld. Think this UV5R will be easier to program using the USB lead to be honest.
tetramoo

Post by tetramoo »

Only had the radio a few days but from what I've seen already its well worth £20 in my view. Only bought it primarily as a scanning receiver... And having owned radios like the AOR3000 and Icom ICR10 in the past I know it's going to be crap compared to those kind of radio recievers.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Forget any type of scanning on it, 1970 Tandy sets scanned quicker than these. It is what it is, a cheap, small handie to stick in your pocket to have some fun with for less than the price of 40 fags.I still prefer my 2w UV-3Rs to these as they seem more sensitive.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Performances is OK. Not brilliant, but then they're cheap as chips. A lot of SAR personnel carry them as back up units because the standard issue Icoms are appalling, yet they cost 11 times as much as the cheapo 5R.

ISIS are big fans of them, judging by the TV report the other day.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016