446 REPEATERS

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
SUZUKI444
Regular
Regular

446 REPEATERS

Post by SUZUKI444 »

Is it okay to set up a parrot repeater on 446 ????? using legal sets ????
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: 446 REPEATERS

Post by Admiral »

Hi and welcome to the board.

Is it okay legally or morally?

Legally, no, morally, maybe.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

If you really want to have some fun get yourself a Chinese quadbander and set the cross band repeater so folks on 446 can talk to CB folk and CB folk can talk to the 446 crowd. I know that works (allegedly) :ugeek:
The perfect face for radio.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Morally, it is okay as long as it is funny.

e.g. Why not hide one inside a trainer in your local branch of Sports Direct?
SUZUKI444
Regular
Regular

Post by SUZUKI444 »

I cannot find anything in the legislation for 446 that says a repeater is not allowed, if one is using a legal radio for that band
where in the document does is disallow a parrot repeater ?????? i cannot see that anywhere....
perhaps others have read something different if so tell me where ?????
regards jim
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Perhaps a short range licence free system isn't for you if you want repeaters etc.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

I think that Ofcom did say it wasn't allowed. But some people do it anyway and there haven't been any convictions for it as far as I know.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

It's definitely not permitted, but like you say............
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

nah, it aint legal and no one can condone it, but give it a go at your own risk, let me no if you do and its in the Watford area ;)
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

*cough* Narc! *cough*

:lol:
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

That Chinese quad-bander would make a great cross band repeat/remote access machine, but it won't do the 1.25KHz UKCB offset. I think you could use the 6.25KHz offset to give you channels 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29, 34, and 39. Obviously the ERP on the UV950p is too high at 5W though.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

NiCdeth wrote:That Chinese quad-bander would make a great cross band repeat/remote access machine, but it won't do the 1.25KHz UKCB offset. I think you could use the 6.25KHz offset to give you channels 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29, 34, and 39. Obviously the ERP on the UV950p is too high at 5W though.
Even if it were only putting out 4w, it's still an illegal set to use on the UK40 or EU40 as it's not type-rated (Subject to correction)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
M3ZZN

Post by M3ZZN »

parrots are a grey area i know of quite a few even played around myself with a challenge active pmr 446 i got and works great i also read its legal but surely if your not chucking out stupid power and using for your own use or testing like myself not on 24/7 whats the harm i set mine on a tone have a beacon running and go out with a radio doing tests then when i know im out of range i remotely kill it
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

In less time than it takes to type 'parrots are a grey area' and 'I read it's legal', you could Google the words 'Ofcom' and 'PMR446' and find out for yourself that this is tosh!
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I can't believe anyone actually promotes these 'parrot' repeaters as nice to use. They're horrible, prone to doubling, and the delay before getting a reply is damn annoying. CB radio, at least has pretty sensible design specs, and the capability to be a solid system - with sensible distances and enough real channels. 446 is just prone to so many issues and limitations that trying to make it busier seems flawed. I doubt Ofcom have any interest in even listening to the band, as the usually low power users fit too many into a small area. As an unprotected service I'd expect them to intervene only when things get bad enough the CPS would want to get involved. The chaos when somebody hears a parrot system and doesn't realise is funny but pretty inefficient as a communication system.

On the issue of channel centres and equipment without the right shifts - most receivers are not remotely bothered by a few KHz offset and users rarely even notice somebody is on 5 or 6.25KHz steps. Lots of the cheaper 446 kit seems to have the deviation set quite high anyway, so they bleed and clash.

The only proper answer to the initial question is that Ofcom could view a parrot style delayed system as legal, as it works on the audio chain, and the rues don't specify what other things can be plugged in. It's working on the bog standard unmodified radios. They could find something for radio equipment that is plugged into it - if that system has rules on it, but there's nothing to stop CB users plugging other gizmos in either, and as callsigns are not required or matched to bands - there seem few legislation issues, just practical ones.