Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
timbo

Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Post by timbo »

Ever want to use a Speaker/Mic but don't want the crappy recieve audio from it ? ....Well, a small modification of the plug will allow you to recieve audio through the radio's own speaker while still being able to use the extension mic to TX.
This is an ideal solution for taking you handie mobile in the car where you may have it in a phone holder or airvent mount with external antenna connected.
This mod works only on the twin plug Kenwood standard ( Bumfeng,TYT,HYT, ...yeah, the chinese stuff) I tried this on a 3quid Baofeng S/M (as that's all they're good for --- experiments....absolute rubbish otherwise)
It's just a case of wizzing off the 2 end conductors on the 2.5mm (small pin) plug. AT YOUR OWN RISK I used a Dremel cutting disc.
Leave as much length on the stump as possible , to ensure a good contact in the socket. It may be possible to actually leave the middle contact intact as well, and just wizz the tip off, as this middle contact is not used for the S/M anyway. I only had the one to experiment on, so if someone tries that and it also works, please leave a reply here.
Happy Butchering !

Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Post by Mattylad »

Could the alternative to this be to simply use a speaker extension cable (from £land) and then the mic does not need modding.....
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Cheaper to buy a decent speaker mic than a Dremmel! Nice idea though.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
timbo

Post by timbo »

Mattylad wrote:Could the alternative to this be to simply use a speaker extension cable (from £land) and then the mic does not need modding.....

No. I'm not sure you know the type of radio outputs I'm talking about. If a Speaker/Mic is plugged in, an extension speaker output is not avaiable on the radio. Except for an earphone socket on the mic itself, which would then require another cable from the S/M to another speaker, more wires, more cost, more clutter in your cab.

Farty wrote:Cheaper to buy a decent speaker mic than a Dremmel! Nice idea though.
I've never, ever heard a speaker mic sound as good as the radio's own speaker, I have an expensive Kenwood speaker/mic and it sounds sh1te as well.
If you don't already own a Dremmel, you could use a hacksaw, I guess you can get them from "£land"

If this cost free mod is of no use to you, please ignore it.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

I seem to recall suggesting it was a nice idea.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Sometimes the simple and the obvious are the best.

This is an ideal mod for the bumfengs, reasonable speaker/shít mic.

Not for the high end market, but for the cheap, chinky stuff, a great idea.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
timbo

Post by timbo »

Admiral wrote:Sometimes the simple and the obvious are the best.

This is an ideal mod for the bumfengs, reasonable speaker/shít mic.

Not for the high end market, but for the cheap, chinky stuff, a great idea.
Thanks Admiral, That's what I was getting at. Cheap,Chinky, Cheerful ! and positive.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

timbo wrote:
Mattylad wrote:Could the alternative to this be to simply use a speaker extension cable (from £land) and then the mic does not need modding.....

No. I'm not sure you know the type of radio outputs I'm talking about. If a Speaker/Mic is plugged in, an extension speaker output is not avaiable on the radio. Except for an earphone socket on the mic itself, which would then require another cable from the S/M to another speaker, more wires, more cost, more clutter in your cab.
I think Mattylad means a 3.5mm jack extension lead placed between the speakermic and the radio, so that the 2.5mm plug does not make contact at all.

That was the first thing that occurred to me also... shortly followed by cutting off the double pronged plug altogether and soldering on a straight 3.5mm stereo jack.

Is the screen on the 2.5mm plug actually required for anything, or were you just using the stub to improve the mechanical strength of the connection?
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Exactly what I meant, if the 3.5mm plug is the mic then all it needs is that one plugged in.

My speaker mic does not sound any different to the radio speaker, both are pretty silent lol
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

no need for a dremmel with this mod just a pair of pliers will do the job here it just breaks off at the bottom of the last black ring.
timbo

Post by timbo »

kr0ne wrote:I think Mattylad means a 3.5mm jack extension lead placed between the speakermic and the radio, so that the 2.5mm plug does not make contact at all.

Yeah, but the negative on the speaker plug has to be connected to be able to TX