Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
User avatar
timbo
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 274
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 19:33
Location: Newcastle

Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby timbo » 06 Sep 2015, 12:36

Ever want to use a Speaker/Mic but don't want the crappy recieve audio from it ? ....Well, a small modification of the plug will allow you to recieve audio through the radio's own speaker while still being able to use the extension mic to TX.
This is an ideal solution for taking you handie mobile in the car where you may have it in a phone holder or airvent mount with external antenna connected.
This mod works only on the twin plug Kenwood standard ( Bumfeng,TYT,HYT, ...yeah, the chinese stuff) I tried this on a 3quid Baofeng S/M (as that's all they're good for --- experiments....absolute rubbish otherwise)
It's just a case of wizzing off the 2 end conductors on the 2.5mm (small pin) plug. AT YOUR OWN RISK I used a Dremel cutting disc.
Leave as much length on the stump as possible , to ensure a good contact in the socket. It may be possible to actually leave the middle contact intact as well, and just wizz the tip off, as this middle contact is not used for the S/M anyway. I only had the one to experiment on, so if someone tries that and it also works, please leave a reply here.
Happy Butchering !

Image

Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1495
Joined: 03 May 2014, 20:09
Call Sign: RDX64
Location: Lancashire

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby Mattylad » 06 Sep 2015, 16:41

Could the alternative to this be to simply use a speaker extension cable (from £land) and then the mic does not need modding.....

User avatar
Farty
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 3465
Joined: 20 Oct 2008, 14:40
Location: IO92ND

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby Farty » 06 Sep 2015, 16:53

Cheaper to buy a decent speaker mic than a Dremmel! Nice idea though.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Awesomeness May 2016

User avatar
timbo
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 274
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 19:33
Location: Newcastle

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby timbo » 06 Sep 2015, 20:46

Mattylad wrote:Could the alternative to this be to simply use a speaker extension cable (from £land) and then the mic does not need modding.....



No. I'm not sure you know the type of radio outputs I'm talking about. If a Speaker/Mic is plugged in, an extension speaker output is not avaiable on the radio. Except for an earphone socket on the mic itself, which would then require another cable from the S/M to another speaker, more wires, more cost, more clutter in your cab.


Farty wrote:Cheaper to buy a decent speaker mic than a Dremmel! Nice idea though.


I've never, ever heard a speaker mic sound as good as the radio's own speaker, I have an expensive Kenwood speaker/mic and it sounds sh1te as well.
If you don't already own a Dremmel, you could use a hacksaw, I guess you can get them from "£land"

If this cost free mod is of no use to you, please ignore it.

User avatar
Farty
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 3465
Joined: 20 Oct 2008, 14:40
Location: IO92ND

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby Farty » 06 Sep 2015, 20:56

I seem to recall suggesting it was a nice idea.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Awesomeness May 2016

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8618
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: NORTH CAMBS UK

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby Admiral » 06 Sep 2015, 21:22

Sometimes the simple and the obvious are the best.

This is an ideal mod for the bumfengs, reasonable speaker/shít mic.

Not for the high end market, but for the cheap, chinky stuff, a great idea.

User avatar
timbo
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 274
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 19:33
Location: Newcastle

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby timbo » 06 Sep 2015, 22:07

Admiral wrote:Sometimes the simple and the obvious are the best.

This is an ideal mod for the bumfengs, reasonable speaker/shít mic.

Not for the high end market, but for the cheap, chinky stuff, a great idea.


Thanks Admiral, That's what I was getting at. Cheap,Chinky, Cheerful ! and positive.

User avatar
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 4536
Joined: 25 Sep 2011, 18:33

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby kr0ne » 06 Sep 2015, 22:45

timbo wrote:
Mattylad wrote:Could the alternative to this be to simply use a speaker extension cable (from £land) and then the mic does not need modding.....



No. I'm not sure you know the type of radio outputs I'm talking about. If a Speaker/Mic is plugged in, an extension speaker output is not avaiable on the radio. Except for an earphone socket on the mic itself, which would then require another cable from the S/M to another speaker, more wires, more cost, more clutter in your cab.


I think Mattylad means a 3.5mm jack extension lead placed between the speakermic and the radio, so that the 2.5mm plug does not make contact at all.

That was the first thing that occurred to me also... shortly followed by cutting off the double pronged plug altogether and soldering on a straight 3.5mm stereo jack.

Is the screen on the 2.5mm plug actually required for anything, or were you just using the stub to improve the mechanical strength of the connection?

Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1495
Joined: 03 May 2014, 20:09
Call Sign: RDX64
Location: Lancashire

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby Mattylad » 07 Sep 2015, 06:42

Exactly what I meant, if the 3.5mm plug is the mic then all it needs is that one plugged in.

My speaker mic does not sound any different to the radio speaker, both are pretty silent lol

User avatar
listner132
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 479
Joined: 28 Mar 2009, 11:27
Location: Ayrshire Scotland.

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby listner132 » 09 Sep 2015, 18:44

no need for a dremmel with this mod just a pair of pliers will do the job here it just breaks off at the bottom of the last black ring.
Mk1 cobra,mk1 president lincoln in its box,5 band President Jackson,realistic pro 26 and pro 2006 and over 10 baofengs.

watson w30 antenna,antron99,shakespear abs1600....

User avatar
timbo
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 274
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 19:33
Location: Newcastle

Re: Speaker/Mic mod (at your own risk)

Postby timbo » 01 Jan 2017, 15:47

kr0ne wrote:I think Mattylad means a 3.5mm jack extension lead placed between the speakermic and the radio, so that the 2.5mm plug does not make contact at all.



Yeah, but the negative on the speaker plug has to be connected to be able to TX


Return to “Licence Free (PMR446/LPD433/SRD860/2.4GHz ISM/SRD49MHz)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest