Uniden pmr885 problems

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
munchh
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6

Uniden pmr885 problems

Post by munchh »

Hi all, i wonder if anyone has come across this, i bagged a pair of these from a booty last weekend £4, so knew i was taking my chances, the rechargable packs have had it, but the charger is ok and i have put AAA's in them for the min.

All works fine from what i can tell, i emailed Uniden foer the PDF manual which they sent me.

One of them is doing something starnge and seems to be locked into a mode not covered by the manual?

There is a radio symbal on the screen (with no radiating marks either side) it will transmit ok, but has no recieve, i cannot get rid of the symbal and i cannot turn off the key/roger tones, not sure this is linked, the other one is fine and i can even get the baby monitor to work?

Any ideas, i have asked Uniden about a full reset, but they have not got back to me.

Cheers
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Uniden pmr885 problems

Post by kr0ne »

Take it you've checked that CTCSS and DCS are not enabled on the one that won't receive?
munchh
Regular
Regular

Post by munchh »

Yeah, i have reset all the ctcss and tried on all chanels, these dont have dcs, im hoping someone knows how to full reset them, ive heard good things about the radios, ive had plenty, but these are a good quality build, would be a shame to end up with another single!
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

It sounds like a baby monitor mode to me.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
munchh
Regular
Regular

Post by munchh »

I can turn the baby mode on and off and it works as it should, as soon as i turn it off the radio symbal comes back up and it doesnt recieve?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Dont know but, it if you cant find any other explanation, it may have had something spilled in it... I've fixed more than a few things by washing a circuit board around those etched pushbutton pad things with warm water. Battery removed, of course.
munchh
Regular
Regular

Post by munchh »

I've just had it on for a couple of hours and it is actually intermitent, i can make it dissapear if i touch the MON button, but it also comes on and off itself?

Its an odd one alright, out of the two radios it is the one with the most wear and tear?
2hondas
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by 2hondas »

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue with mine.
I bought them brand new many years ago for a motorcycle road trip, and they've been in the box since.

Did you ever find the answer? I've contacted Uniden support but they refused to help me because the product was too old.

Thanks

Neil
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

I think this is a common problem with some Uniden and Motorola radios - Some also seem to not auto squelch well with age although ctcss helps.
pmr446 king.