CB mike on PMR446?

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
albrecht

CB mike on PMR446?

Post by albrecht »

Maybe this is a daft question, but is it possible to wire a CB power microphone to use with a PMR446 set or two-pin input Amateur radio handheld radio? Thanks.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Re: CB mike on PMR446?

Post by Mattylad »

Simple answer - Yes.

How well it works, if the mic impedance's are going to match etc is another matter.
We would need to know more about the radio & the mic to advise on that - model numbers etc.

You do know that you can buy mics that plug into these radios quite cheaply anyway don't you?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

As above, yes, you can wire virtually any mic to virtually any set, but what it sounds like is another story.

Power mics are not generally suited to FM, they often cause over deviation before any sound improvement is achieved.

Off the shelf 446 sets generally use an electret mic element and will mean the circuitry is set up for an electret, use anything else and chances are it won't work well, if at all.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I've done it lots of times not specifically for PMR446 but for PMR stuff in general, I like to re-purpose old PMR gear for Amateur use and such things like that... I've used CB mics a lot when I get a radio that has no mic to it. I occasionally like to build my own mic's as well.