BF-888S Programming Success on Linux

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
spynappels
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2I0SEH

BF-888S Programming Success on Linux

Post by spynappels »

Hi Guys,

I received my two Baofeng BF-888S handies today. They were bought to replace two Motorola PMR446 sets which I give to my small kids to use, so only having 16 channels is actually an advantage.

Programming them is easy with the CHIRP software and a USB programming cable, in fact it was easier on Linux than on Windows, owing to Windows playing merry hell with driver installation.

I programmed in the 8 PMR frequencies, once without CTCSS and once with the CTCSS "number" equal to channel + 2, so channel 1 has CTCSS tone of 74.4Hz, channel 2 has a 77Hz CTCSS tone, etc.

I also saved an img of my channel settings, so if anyone wants a copy to use to program their own BF-888S, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Regards,
Stefan
Cymro
Regular
Regular

Re: BF-888S Programming Success on Linux

Post by Cymro »

Hi Stefan,

Great info! I'll give it another go on Linux using the CHIRP software. I've managed to program on Windows, but not using Linux, which is the OS I've been using for many years.
Cymro
Regular
Regular

Re: BF-888S Programming Success on Linux

Post by Cymro »

If anyone is interested, this is how far I've got so far.

Just downloaded CHIRP Version 0.4.1, which was released on 8th October, 2014, via the terminal. Had to add to the repository first, otherwise an old version would have been downloaded:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-hams-updates/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chirp

When I've found the USB Baofeng computer lead, which is somewhere in the attic, I'll proceed with the actual programming.