100 Watt 446 MHz Amp

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: 100 Watt 446 MHz Amp

Post by WoollyMammoth »

I hear a motorcycle school and a restaurant all the time on PMR446, I actually got a radio check of the restaurant when I first got my UV5R, he even offered to move to another channel, its quite funny listening to the Scottish chef complaining about the waiters getting the orders wrong, I'm so surprised how often people return food.

As for the motorcycle school I have been tempted to shout on top of the instructor and tell them to go right when the instructor says to go left. :lol:
MyLittleRadio
Regular
Regular

Post by MyLittleRadio »

WoollyMammoth wrote:I hear a motorcycle school and a restaurant all the time on PMR446, I actually got a radio check of the restaurant when I first got my UV5R, he even offered to move to another channel, its quite funny listening to the Scottish chef complaining about the waiters getting the orders wrong, I'm so surprised how often people return food.

As for the motorcycle school I have been tempted to shout on top of the instructor and tell them to go right when the instructor says to go left. :lol:
Go for it!
I've been listening to the motorcycle training as well today - they must be using higher power, maybe 5 Watts, as they were going around a roundabout about 4-5 miles from here.
I'm listening on a UV5R as well - getting a bigger rubber duck for it.

I've been thinking of going the whole hog and getting a Kilowatt burner - plugged into my walky-talky, as I might be able to work the Utterly Butterly factory, which is about 6 miles - but realistically, perhaps I should just wait until there is a lift in the conditions - I already have my PMR yagi 80' up on a tower in the garden, I had to re-morgage the house to afford to do that - working the Utterly Butterly factory would set a new standard in PMR.
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth »

MyLittleRadio wrote:
WoollyMammoth wrote:I hear a motorcycle school and a restaurant all the time on PMR446, I actually got a radio check of the restaurant when I first got my UV5R, he even offered to move to another channel, its quite funny listening to the Scottish chef complaining about the waiters getting the orders wrong, I'm so surprised how often people return food.

Go for it!
I've been listening to the motorcycle training as well today - they must be using higher power, maybe 5 Watts, as they were going around a roundabout about 4-5 miles from here.
I'm listening on a UV5R as well - getting a bigger rubber duck for it.

I've been thinking of going the whole hog and getting a Kilowatt burner - plugged into my walky-talky, as I might be able to work the Utterly Butterly factory, which is about 6 miles - but realistically, perhaps I should just wait until there is a lift in the conditions - I already have my PMR yagi 80' up on a tower in the garden, I had to re-morgage the house to afford to do that - working the Utterly Butterly factory would set a new standard in PMR.
I would be butterly amazed at that contact. :lol:

Might give my local maplins a shout on Ch3, tell them I'm the head boss and have came to inspect the premises. 8)
Last edited by WoollyMammoth on 17 Jul 2014, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

You do sometimes hear some choice words from motorbike instructors some are very rude, If I ever get a CBT at least I will know who to not use.
pmr446 king.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

In my opinion antennas are more important than high power from the radio. With a good antenna you can make many contacts on low to medium power. Just with high power and a standard antenna yes you might get a little further contact but its better to invest in new antenna technologies. Experiment a little!
Cowthief
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: KA5PIU

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

100 watts on 446 MHz?
http://www.mirageamp.com/Product.php?productid=D-1010-N
Now, 1000 watts on 446 MHz?
http://home.cshore.com/lunarlink/la-x2A_data1.pdf
Above 1500 watts? Special Temporary Authority (STA).
That is normally a custom build.
But, as you can see, 100 watts on 446 MHz would not even be noticed,,,, That is if you were a ham in the USA.
GMRS, our version of this 446 MHz stuff, allows up to 50 watts.
But, can you just imagine Ofcom encountering a 1500 watt transmitter on 446 MHz?!
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

I can and have run my Henry Amp on 446... Yes it was impressive but in all a futile act cos i was very limited to who i cud speak to... 250w into a 9 element beam was good fun but really not worth the risk so Henry is reserved for 70cms only...
Couple of watts on 446 is more than enough...

However bk on topic i do envy what our friends over the pond are allowed in terms of power limits etc....
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Cowthief wrote:GMRS, our version of this 446 MHz stuff, allows up to 50 watts.
Have you ever even been to the US, cowthief?

Isn't GMRS a licensed service?

Surely FRS, with 0.5W, would be a lot closer to the licence free PMR446 service in Europe...
Cowthief
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: KA5PIU

Post by Cowthief »

kr0ne wrote:
Cowthief wrote:GMRS, our version of this 446 MHz stuff, allows up to 50 watts.
Have you ever even been to the US, cowthief?

Isn't GMRS a licensed service?

Surely FRS, with 0.5W, would be a lot closer to the licence free PMR446 service in Europe...
Hello.

Actually, I am in the USA, San Antonio Texas.
2 watts license free is now permitted to maintain harmony with Canada and Mexico, license free.
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... ey=2866895
But, as a rule, most are not licensed, they buy the 5 watt talkies at Walmart and ignore what is in the packaging.
25 watt mobiles that are preprogrammed are also popular.
FRS and GMRS share most frequencies, so except for power levels, they are the same, or most people see it being the same.
jimster99
Regular
Regular

Post by jimster99 »

Please can you let me know if you manage to find a 100 Watt PMR transmitter? I want to listen to radio 4 in my back garden underground nuclear bunker while chainsawing cattle carcasses (just my hobby). The bunker is too far underground to pick up the normal FM signal so a 100 Watt transmitter rebroadcasting the FM signal from the roof of my house into the bunker (via license-free PMR) sounds like an ideal solution.

PS I did consider just listening to radio 4 via the BBC iplayer, but seems like a bit too much faff to have to take my laptop into the bunker and load up the website etc etc. :think:
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

You could always build one, also its worth checking ebay, sometimes you find bulk lots of PMR stuff going cheap so alls you'd need is four 30watt UHF finals wire them together and make a nice box to house them in and then you got 120 watts :thumbup:
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

curny
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by curny »

The Tait T196 has a nice little 25w pa section as a self contained unit bolted to the back
Can be picked up o eBay for peanuts
Then do this:
http://www.radiorampage.com/techpages/100wuhfamp.php
Curny

163-TM-336
163-CT-336
'UK Three Thirty Six' on midband AM