Kirisun

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Kirisun

Post by Bogget »

It does actually and is true, and i have tested several radios to their limits of contact on digi but when i switch back to analog you can continue talking, thats why most new digi radios auto switch to analog as you start to lose contact on digi thereby maintaining contact, its all to do with error checking in the digi mode. I have tested motobo Kirisun Fusion and DStar none are as good as analog or as clear.

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

It might be true in the cases you have tested, but its not true in all cases. And in the future, digital will probably be better in the cases you tested too.
Digital definitely increases the range for some users. Usually for people who have awful microphone habits, such as holding it (the microphone) down at their chest and then trying to talk.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Please explain how a mode of transmission can effect microphone technique as the audio preamp is the same unit in most cases.

Bogget
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Yes, but on digital you can hear the person if they speak quietly. On analog, if they're quiet, the noise will make it too difficult to hear them.
If you haven't noticed that with all this experience you've had with digital...
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

What noise?

Bogget
Last edited by Bogget on 27 Sep 2014, 19:38, edited 4 times in total.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Can someone else read this conversation for me and see if I missed something important out?
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

radiosification wrote:Can someone else read this conversation for me and see if I missed something important out?
I agree with Bogget on this - what noise are you talking about?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

If you mean background noise on a cheap radio you may get some but on my FTM400 as long as my bandwidth matches who i am speaking to there is none, i have a regular net on 2mtrs one of the guys has an old clock in another room it can be clearly heard ticking if he takes a pause with it keyed, if you compare digi mode out put on any communication radio it is clearly of less quality i can identify when someone is on a digimode even without looking at a radio by the prr sound and the hint of donald duck in the speech its created because of the low sample rate, no such noise on analog now tell me you havent heard it????

Also it why they are having to rethink Digital broadcast radio because of its short range and having to bring out a new standred rather than the MP2 currently used because any low signal areas give the familiar donald sound.

If you look at the output of the Broadcast stations you will see they use about 5 times the power to maintain the same range as a similar coverage analog station.

Bogget
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

The noise I meant is on a bad signal. If it's weak, you get a load of noise in the background. Nothing to do with bandwidth mismatches. Any FM, AM or even SSB radio gets noisy when the signal is weak. What my point was, is that of someone talks quietly, they will be quiter than the noise, however on digital because the noise doesn't increase in the decoded signal as it gets weaker, this won't happen.

Yeah, DAB was not very good, or at least the codec they used isn't. DAB+ has a much better codec. The sooner we switch over the better. To be honest we never should have implemented DAB until the technology matured enough.
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Thats my point at the same range if your talking to a operater on digi or analog same power at limits of range the analog range would be greater as anolog can talk in to the noise whereas Digi is lost completely because it can not maintain its timing and error checking, thats why most ham radios auto switch to analog from digi to maintain the contact, they dont auto switch the other way around.........When your listening to didgi and not your radio as it goes out of range of digi the sound quality improvement is dramatic and usually causes to me look up at my radio, but yes at limits of range you will get noise on FM not so much on SSB or AM due to the way it is transmitted.

Yes DAB implemented the wrong level of error checking and it was not upgradable thats why most of the current radios will have to be scrapped.

Bogget
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

I don't think you're going to get the point, never mind. We should probably stop discussing this now since it has strayed too far off the original topic.
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

I think the original point is the Kirisun works better on Analog than digital.

Bogget
kickasskev
Regular
Regular

Post by kickasskev »

I have just tried a range test on these Kirisun 780s and found that transmitting at 1 watt I will get no greater distance than at 4 watts how is this?

And I mean literally no further distance!!!!!!
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

and how did you test it?

Bogget
kickasskev
Regular
Regular

Post by kickasskev »

In the car drove while my son was talkin to the missus, as soon as we got out of range I tried 4watts but still could not communicate, I have a set of Kenwood PMR's that do the same distance as the kirisuns and that's 0.5 watt

I was on digital too!!!!!!!