LPD Channels

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
scanhermit

Re: LPD Channels

Post by scanhermit »

But...but...if I huddle here at this cliff top, a bit of thermal induction will come along at some point.

Won't it?

Hello....Helloo..Scanhermit calling Rotterdam....
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

ChickenMadras wrote:
scanhermit wrote:
ChickenMadras wrote:I'm amazed anybody bothers with LPD for voice comms.
LPD is aimed at short range data communication (burgler alarms, wireless doorbels etc). For voice, you could get more range by shouting. :lol:

LPD walki-talkies are a waste of money. :ugeek:
I dunno - see this post: http://www.transmission1.co.uk/viewtopi ... 24#p358822
I still disagree :)
Yes, sometimes you can get more range than expected from voice LPD (as your link shows), but this obviously is not reliable. Anybody buying LPD walki-talkies to use seriously will be very disapointed with their performance.

Of course, us radio geeks might like to fiddle with them and see what they can do, but none of us would ever use them as a serious means of communication, nor would we recommend any body else does so. I still reckon LPD walki-talkies are a waste of money :P
Still much better than 49mhz radios lol.
pmr446 king.
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

pmr446man wrote:Still much better than 49mhz radios lol.
Seconded :mrgreen:
The devil finds work for idle circuits
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

Now that takes me back. Action man specials with a telescopic whip, no squelch circuit and a 9v battery that lasted 20 mins. Still couldn't make the trip from the front garden to the back!
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

M3VBS wrote:Now that takes me back. Action man specials with a telescopic whip, no squelch circuit and a 9v battery that lasted 20 mins. Still couldn't make the trip from the front garden to the back!
Heh
And the range gets even shorter when as a kid, you snap the telescopic whip after ten minutes of ownership :mrgreen:
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

ChickenMadras wrote:
M3VBS wrote:Now that takes me back. Action man specials with a telescopic whip, no squelch circuit and a 9v battery that lasted 20 mins. Still couldn't make the trip from the front garden to the back!
Heh
And the range gets even shorter when as a kid, you snap the telescopic whip after ten minutes of ownership :mrgreen:
Nowadays they usually have rubber ones even on toy ones although not always.
I believe Maxon made a somewhat more powerful 5 channel 49mhz radio some years back i bet mothers with babys would love that lol.
pmr446 king.
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

ChickenMadras wrote:
Heh
Yea, as an adult it only takes me 5 mins to break it now!
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

Why can't I have a shed that throws out stuff like this!!!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251500253398

As new condition and all. 49mhz fans, relive those Tandy dreams!
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

M3VBS wrote:Why can't I have a shed that throws out stuff like this!!!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251500253398

As new condition and all. 49mhz fans, relive those Tandy dreams!
Not for seventeen quid I won't. I could buy a bloody megaphone for that price :lol: