LPD Channels

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
mayhemicmayhem

LPD Channels

Post by mayhemicmayhem »

Can I presume that it is okay to use the LPD channels on high power if you've passed your Amateur license?
Gaygordon
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0xxx

Re: LPD Channels

Post by Gaygordon »

If you've got a licence forget all about LPD. It's 70cms as far as you're concerned and the whole band is yours to play with.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Gaygordon wrote:If you've got a licence forget all about LPD. It's 70cms as far as you're concerned and the whole band is yours to play with.
Exactly what Gordon said, of course ensuring you stick within whatever licence class power restrictions apply, and respect the long established "band plans"!
The allocation of LPD set spot frequencies and associated power restrictions, should not even be considered as applying to someone with an amateur licence!
Why piddle about with LPD, when you already have far more on offer, delivered on a plate?
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Your amateur radio licence allows you to contact other licenced amateur radio users, you are not licenced to contact LDP users, as they do not have the necessary licence!

Because of your higher power status you could also be accused of deliberately interfering with them.

I for one would steer clear of such frequencies and their operators!

:D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

DX-Digger wrote:Your amateur radio licence allows you to contact other licenced amateur radio users, you are not licenced to contact LDP users, as they do not have the necessary licence!

Because of your higher power status you could also be accused of deliberately interfering with them.

You are quite correct, conversing cross "licencing", ie licenced amateur to LPD user, is not sanctioned by Ofcom!
But sometimes avoidance could prove difficult when many such LPD channels coincide with some 70 cms Simplex!
I would say the oposite logic applies, any LPD users avoid fequencies where you "hear" licenced amateurs in QSO, after all, you may well be hearing them, but there is absolutely NO garantee, on your, "Ahem!", restricted power level, they will be hearing you! ;)
Just a thought!
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

GeeFull wrote:
DX-Digger wrote:Your amateur radio licence allows you to contact other licenced amateur radio users, you are not licenced to contact LDP users, as they do not have the necessary licence!

You are quite correct, conversing cross "licencing", ie licenced amateur to LPD user, is not sanctioned by Ofcom!
But sometimes avoidance could prove difficult when many such LPD channels coincide with some 70 cms Simplex!
I would say the oposite logic applies, any LPD users avoid fequencies where you "hear" licenced amateurs in QSO, after all, you may well be hearing them, but there is absolutely NO garantee, on your, "Ahem!", restricted power level, they will be hearing you! ;)
Just a thought!
Most Ham operators who frequent 70cms usually do so with a very sensitive radio set up.
But of course it is possible to not hear LPD users.
However, lets say you heard a weak signal on your frequency, you know someone is there, but you cant identify them so you think oh well ill crank the power up so they know this frequency is in use!
Who is to say that they are not the primary band users (military?) as no call-sign will be used to identify them,
start interfering with them and you would quickly find your licence revoked!

I know that is a rather extreme example but we have to be extra careful on bands where we are secondary users!
If I hear a station on 70cms and I hear nothing to indicate it is a licenced ham station I would just leave them be.
Well actually,to be honest, I think I would have a listen to see what was going on, but of course I would never publish what I hear ;-) :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Aren't some LPD channels smack on the repeater freqs? If I was an LPD user I think I'd stay off those - either I'll spoil someone else's fun or they'll blast across me.
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

To be honest I've never really used LPD433, maybe if i want an interference free channel but for me CTCSS/DCS always solves my problems with that (or failing that channel 9) .
pmr446 king.
chaych

Post by chaych »

scanhermit wrote:Aren't some LPD channels smack on the repeater freqs? If I was an LPD user I think I'd stay off those - either I'll spoil someone else's fun or they'll blast across me.
even if it's on a repeater frequency, you won't activate the repeater unless you happen to be using the same CTCSS too. even then, you won't be able to hear the licensed amateurs blasting you unless you're in close proximity to them
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Code: Select all

even if it's on a repeater frequency, you won't activate the repeater unless you happen to be using the same CTCSS too. even then, you won't be able to hear the licensed amateurs blasting you unless you're in close proximity to them
I have a mental image of myself with a puny LPD handset standing near a repeater and innefectually keying while saying "Suffer, you beggars, suffer!" :D
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

What a stupid question.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

I'm amazed anybody bothers with LPD for voice comms.
LPD is aimed at short range data communication (burgler alarms, wireless doorbels etc). For voice, you could get more range by shouting. :lol:

LPD walki-talkies are a waste of money. :ugeek:
The devil finds work for idle circuits
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

ChickenMadras wrote:I'm amazed anybody bothers with LPD for voice comms.
LPD is aimed at short range data communication (burgler alarms, wireless doorbels etc). For voice, you could get more range by shouting. :lol:

I dunno - see this post: http://www.transmission1.co.uk/viewtopi ... 24#p358822
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

The LPD channels share the input frequencies for repeater channels RB01 to RB07 and the output frequencies for repeater channels RB03 to RB15. This means that for repeaters on channels RB03 to RB07, you can work the repeater using an LPD radio by switching manually between the input and output frequencies, which is quite practical if you have them programmed into adjacent memory channels. I've actually done this (don't worry, I'm a licensed ham) and managed a range of a mile or two line of sight. Repeaters are generally high up, have moderately high gain antennas, and have higher output power and a more sensitive receiver than handheld radios do. They're designed to maximise the range of a low powered handheld radio, that's their intended purpose, and many of them are quite good at it.

Edit: I've just checked using the ruler tool in google earth, and the range was actually just over half a mile. So not quite as impressive as I thought, but still an interesting experiment.
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

scanhermit wrote:
ChickenMadras wrote:I'm amazed anybody bothers with LPD for voice comms.

I dunno - see this post: http://www.transmission1.co.uk/viewtopi ... 24#p358822
I still disagree :)
Yes, sometimes you can get more range than expected from voice LPD (as your link shows), but this obviously is not reliable. Anybody buying LPD walki-talkies to use seriously will be very disapointed with their performance.

Of course, us radio geeks might like to fiddle with them and see what they can do, but none of us would ever use them as a serious means of communication, nor would we recommend any body else does so. I still reckon LPD walki-talkies are a waste of money :P
The devil finds work for idle circuits